D3s vs d3x, which do I get? Or something else

I have a 7200 & 7000. But I'm wanting a full frame because of its better performance of ISO control and also because of being full frame so I can get closer to the subject (like weddings).

Here is what is important to me.

1. ISO control.
- I shot at night of the milky way.
- high school football games with poor lighting.
- ufc MMA fights with decent lighting.
- weddings inside and outside.
- light painting (hobby)

2. Printing.
- according to the print size chart for d3s I cannot go above 9x11 ...... While the d3x has twice the size.
-my largest print was like a 16x10. And it came from my d7000. But with getting into weddings more and more. I know someone is going to want one image out of 3000 and want that one printed at 24x30.

3. Detail
- wedding dress
- landscape and/or micro.

I like how d3s has a cleaning sensor in the camera.
I don't care about fps. For my sports I do fine enough at 5. It's just the way I shoot. I usually have a good idea what's coming. And with practice practice practice, you'll get the basketball coming off the finger tips for the future and it becomes muscle memory. There might be sometimes I want the complete follow thru, but that's too rare. Therefore fps is not a deciding factor for which camera to get.
I don't care for quiet mode or video. 99% of the time I never use them. Even on wildlife, and its because I'm so far away from the subject.

So what is y'alls thoughts? Have the capability to shoot at 12,000 + ISO with no problem OR have better prints and detail?

Also 90% of my pictures are on the computer. They get printed. But the prints make me money. But they are usally 8x10 to 5x7.

D3s for sports. You can find some on ebay at a good prices. I just picked up a second one on there with under 4000 clicks for just under $2000

I took theses this fall from the stands with D3s Nikon 70-200mm

SOOC shot at iso 3600 f2.8 1/800 200mm
i-hJKSJsr-L.jpg

Only crop was adjusted iso 11,400 f2.8 1/800 75mm
i-HQG4smG-L.jpg

I have a 7200 & 7000. But I'm wanting a full frame because of its better performance of ISO control and also because of being full frame so I can get closer to the subject (like weddings).

Here is what is important to me.

1. ISO control.
- I shot at night of the milky way.
- high school football games with poor lighting.
- ufc MMA fights with decent lighting.
- weddings inside and outside.
- light painting (hobby)

2. Printing.
- according to the print size chart for d3s I cannot go above 9x11 ...... While the d3x has twice the size.
-my largest print was like a 16x10. And it came from my d7000. But with getting into weddings more and more. I know someone is going to want one image out of 3000 and want that one printed at 24x30.

3. Detail
- wedding dress
- landscape and/or micro.

I like how d3s has a cleaning sensor in the camera.
I don't care about fps. For my sports I do fine enough at 5. It's just the way I shoot. I usually have a good idea what's coming. And with practice practice practice, you'll get the basketball coming off the finger tips for the future and it becomes muscle memory. There might be sometimes I want the complete follow thru, but that's too rare. Therefore fps is not a deciding factor for which camera to get.
I don't care for quiet mode or video. 99% of the time I never use them. Even on wildlife, and its because I'm so far away from the subject.

So what is y'alls thoughts? Have the capability to shoot at 12,000 + ISO with no problem OR have better prints and detail?

Also 90% of my pictures are on the computer. They get printed. But the prints make me money. But they are usally 8x10 to 5x7.

D3s for sports. You can find some on ebay at a good prices. I just picked up a second one on there with under 4000 clicks for just under $2000

I took theses this fall from the stands with D3s Nikon 70-200mm

SOOC shot at iso 3600 f2.8 1/800 200mm
i-hJKSJsr-L.jpg

Only crop was adjusted iso 11,400 f2.8 1/800 75mm
i-HQG4smG-L.jpg

This!!! This is what makes me want to get this camera. I don't see why to go to d4, d4s.

But I do need to figure out how to print for large prints that go to 24x30 on 12 mp. I've always set my dpi to 250. But I know 12 mp is only going to get me to 9x13 prints
How about this?How to Enlarge Photographs for Printing
Thanks. That is really helpful

I wonder how big someone has printed and it been very good quality.

But I do need to figure out how to print for large prints that go to 24x30 on 12 mp. I've always set my dpi to 250. But I know 12 mp is only going to get me to 9x13 prints
How about this?How to Enlarge Photographs for Printing[/QUOTE]

This is interesting, however I know a professional printing outlet that had me re-size about 50 prints for an exhibition some time back.I had genuine fractals but he asked me use photoshop, apparently ps 6 and cc in his opinion were after overtaking fractals for quality. For info one print was a crop from a 12mp d90, that ended up being 6mp, but was printed 3 feet wide. It looked great from viewing distance, obviously on close scrutiny flaws could be detected, but definetly a 24 x 36 is possible from 12mp if done correctly

Most reactions

New Topics

Back