D3X Buzkashi Crop-- UNREAL

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by wildpix, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buzkashi 3 (2nd link from bottom)

Untouched, no manipulation, Its big, nearly 5mb, but I think its incredible (talking about the quality not the shot! the shot might please or not, personally i like it :) handheld, D3X with 200mm f/2--1/1250s f/5.6 200iso, subject moving quite fast oncoming at about 30-40m

let me know what you think? appreciate any comments.

ps: prob with the D3X is that the screen just doesnt do justice to the full image. But the prints are amazing.
    wildpix.net

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Link says.... Page not found.

3. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sorry, hadnt noticed the site had truncated the link, thanks for the info!!
    martin

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, but I personally don't see what is so incredible about the quality of that shot that makes it say "whoa" about the D3x. I'd expect the same shot from a D3 or even D700. Maybe I'm just missing something. Oh, and I'm talking about quality, not the shot itself.

5. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I mean, a high megapixel camera can make close crops... I'm not sure that that is a particularly revolutionary development.

6. shivaswrath

shivaswrath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very nice indeed!

7. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You would expect the same shot from a D3 or D700? how do you work that out?, similiar quality at a much smaller size? if so. agreed? is that what you mean? But if you apply that logic my D2H is pretty good too, f we keep the images at 640x480 i doubt you could tell which was which. But as this crop is 6.9mp or just over 28-29% of the image area of the sensor, the same image with a D3 would be less than 4mp? (3.54mp?) so how you would expect it to be the same Im unsure?. reason I put this up is because some think the D3X is a Landscape or studio camera not for handholding.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Wildpix, I think that the nit-picking that you're seeing is due to the price of the camera.

A small percentage on this forum could see themselves with a D3, a couple have even bought it. The number who can even be bothered to "run the numbers" for a D3x is Very small. Jealousy is fueling the fire. ;)

And you are right, 72 dpi is hard to use to show the quality of a crop, I'm sure that the prints are great.

Not $8K great, though. LOLOLOLOL. ;)

9. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Mike, I agree 8K is far too much for a camera, no matter how many pixels,:) I wouldnt have jumped in reality, 8k just seems a lot! however due to some exceptionally good luck, which is rare for me i must admit, if you accept i paid full price for my 24-70mm, the D3X was only $6500 (the 2 combined with delivery resulted in $8072 being debited from my US account,) and delivery was 74gbp, approx $100?, i work out cost of the 24-70 at approx $1400? Oh an that included an extra 2year warranty (3total) AND worldwide coverage re theft and accidental damage for the 3 years of the warranty. (142.50 gbp).

Luckily I was in UK at the right time when the dollar was strong, pound weak, Nikon hadnt upped their prices to reflect the difference at the time, and as i live outside the UK it was taxfree, (and even more importantly I actually found one available!!) all in all, a bargain...... well nearly :) Not that much more than the D3 when it first came out.

for info all of this suddenly dawned on me whilst reading a camera mag around the 26 or 27dec whilst home with my children, and after a few calls found one available, and as santa hadnt brought me anything, i thought why not? ordered thru Mifsuds Uk,only to find i had exceeded my Card allowance over christmas, (kids are expensive!!) however once they made a debit of 2k gbp, they shipped the body and lens on trust for the rest. brilliant service! was delivered to the house on the 30th!

Im a happy camper I must admit!

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    LOL Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have one!

I have a hunch that the camera would rival the H3 for most apps. And yes, it sounds as though you found a stellar deal, congrats.

Do keep posting, the scenery there is very interesting to someone half a world away.

thanks

mike

11. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, I thought you said quality not size/resolution. So all you are talking about in here is the size of the image.....okay, but that's no new news. Double the megapixels is clearly going to be a larger, higher resolution image. I don't necessarily consider high resolution and quality to be the same thing....so yes, I would expect similar QUALITY from a D3 or D700. If you are printing billboards, then maybe the D3x is better for you, but of course, everybody already knows that and I don't see how a large web image tells us anything new.

Sorry I misunderstood you....we clearly have different definitions of what quality applies to.

12. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the image describes the quality of the 200mm f/2 more then the D3x.

I think it's a great image nonetheless. 1.3 or so fps though is way too slow for me.