D3X samples

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by wildpix, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    got some shots in kabul, nothing special, security has been really tight and weather really bad, so little chance to get out. still shows some of the cameras capabilities, especially when you see the crops. Cant wait to get to Kenya in March
    martin

wildpix.net

2. shivaswrath

shivaswrath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very nice. . .so I see you're shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8, how do you like it?

I'm debating between that and the MUCH wider 14-24mm. . .the prices keep on coming down for both, so I'm leaning towards the 14-24mm and getting a 35mm and 85mm prime to cover the 24-70mm focal length. . .

3. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been shooting with a friends D700 and the 14-24. Great lens. Super wide on the Full frame. It really depends on what you plan on shooting. What are you going to be doing mostly?

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Eventually I'll pick up the 14-24 and the 16mm fish-eye, but am certainly liking the Nikkor 24-70.

I was surprised about the comment on your site that you heard that a D3x is not hand-holdable. There is nothing that would make this camera more or less hand-holdable than any other dSLR as far as I can tell (I've no more than seen a D3x on a shelf... lol).

Glad to see that you are enjoying your D3x... post a couple pics or an update when you get back to Kenya... at least there, you have scenery a bit more varied and colourful than the somewhat starker deserts in and around Kabul. :)

5. YoungPic

YoungPic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    our nikon rep came into my work bout a week back, and he came in with IT, i must say, wow

6. edanzer

edanzer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi wildpix et al,

Nice photos. Nice and crisp.

I think the comments about hand holding the D3X are related to the fact that it's resolving power is so high that it's more likely to show any imperfections, whether they be dust or camera shake from hand holding or facial blemishes or anything else. A DSLR of that resolution is just very unforgiving. Or at least that's how I understand it.

I'm assuming people coming to this thread are interested in the D3X. I've got a D3X review page going that keeps track of some of the commentary at popular review sites (Nikon D3X Review) if you are interested.

Regards,
    Erick

7. shivaswrath

shivaswrath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm just a wide-angle junkie - personal, landscape, etc. I've rented the 14-24 twice already, and have LOVED the shots I have managed with it. . .just haven't been able to justify the price tag to the wife since I'm not shooting for money. . .sigh. . .some samples below. . .all shot on my D40x, wide open, Auto WB, ISO 800-1600 (depending on pic). . .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ignore the bottom right shadow, I never post-processed any of these and forgot to crop it out, lol. . .
    [​IMG]

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Besides the fact that your pics are beautiful... that wide angle is known as a stunningly good lens (imagine what they would be like on a FX filter? Even wider!). I consider the fact that it cannot use a filter a minor issue and would just be EXTRA careful with it on the camera.

9. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shot but no poppies. I plan on getting the 14-24 this year sometime. Once I get it I want to try and improvise a filter holder for it.

10. wildpix

wildpix TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    appreciate the comments, sorry for delay, cant always get online. Went to Buzkashi on Friday (allowed out again, unbelievable :) for a change the sun shined, well, sort of, was very cold, so shot at 200iso just in case. only a few shots up, but the linked image from #3 is just unreal!!!

good news was i also got a ride which was cool.

by the way, I love the 24-70mm, got in close with it when they went into the buzkashi equivalent of a scrum, not that conducive to good photography, heartpounding stuff as they can break at any second and these guys dont stop for anything, will post some full images tomorrow. Would like the 14-24, but cant afford it yet. :(
    cheers
    martin