D40 18-135 vs. XTi 18-55

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nBenita, Sep 14, 2007.

1. nBenita

nBenita TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So... what do u guys think? which will be the best way to go?
    The XTi is somewhat cheaper.
    I will mostly do some night time shooting, probably portraits.

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    doesn't matter. Just buy what's more comfortable, and what makes sense.

3. nBenita

nBenita TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    holding each camera by hand is not really available =\
    anything else u can add?

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nope. Because using something that's comfortable is really all that matters in today's day and age. The D40/rebel are pretty much the same camera, they just have different lens mounts.

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can only support what Sw1tchFX said ... I strongly advise against buying without trying first.

6. D40

D40 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon D80 if you want to get into photography, Trust me I got the D40 over say a canon because frankly I think the canon feel cheap and uncomfortable to hold. Nikons feel much better to hold IMHO:) BUT my D40 does not have the AF motor built in so I am limited as to my lens choice, Big problem if you really want to get into Photography (like using the Prime lens that are cheap and awsome lens but are not AF-S). I have decided to hang on to my D40 and wait till the new batch of Nikon cameras come out and by then I will hopefully have a few more lenses and better photography skills. That way I can just buy the camera body (I will already have lens) and us the D40 as back up:) That is thinking far in advance but that is the way I look at it. NOW if you are just getting a camera to take pictures of your kids or for family and really are not wanting to get into photography to major and you have a budget to keep then I would say get the D40 over the XTi due to comfort.

7. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the XT...the little brother of the XTi, and it's very comfortable for me to hold. I have medium sized teenaged guy hands...and it works for me. If you have bigger hands, you can get the battery grip to make up for it's small size. It feels great to hold. Also, Canon makes some really great lenses that are priced right...I haven't researched Nikon as much, I'm sure they have some nice stuff.

Either way, you're getting a nice camera, but I think value for money at this point in time you should be looking at the XTi over the D40.