d40 menu help please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ILovePlaya, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ILovePlaya

ILovePlaya TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Trying to access auto off menu screen
    to adjust monitor on time.
    Cannot find it in custom settings.
    Thank's for any input.
    Craig.;)

2. puyjapin

puyjapin TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    go into custom setting menu (pencil icon) scroll to number 15(auto timers) and select then u can play abt how u want. ive just got a d40 too, im new to dslr and cant really get to grips with anything other than auto modes. I got a book abt the d40 by david busch which is ok but it assumes one knows the principles, which i unfortunately dont!

3. Adour

Adour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi gents,

I too have recently bought a D40, and as well as some good advice knocking around on this forum, Ken Rockwell's website has been exceedingly useful: http://www.kenrockwell.com/

He deals with the D40 in detail explaning some of its nuances and also the world of digital photography in detail.

Hope this helps,

Adour

4. ILovePlaya

ILovePlaya TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank's but that menu doesn't go to 15.
    Changed settings in cst(?) and still doesn't.
    Craig.;)

5. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, seeing as I have my D40 right in front of me, I think i may be able to help you :).

I think your problem here is that you only have "Simple" info enabled. So, to solve that, go into the meny, then the Setup menu (spanner icon), then go to CSM/Setup menu (at the top). From there, choose Full rather than Simple. I recommend you keep the menus this way throughout your ownership of the D40, it just opens up some neat features. After that, go to the Custom Setting Menu (pencil), and scroll down to 15: Auto Off Timers. Choose Custom, then select the duration you want. There is more info on each timer in the manual.

6. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    TamiyaGuy and Puyjapin covered the procedure but I just want to point out you may need to click to the right to navigate within the submenu for this. I just remember it being a little unintuitive when I change these settings. And yes, I would keep it set to full menus unless you really need to have quicker access to certain settings.

7. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first mode I played with besides auto and auto without flash was aperture priority mode. Turn the dial on top of the camera to A and then turn the rear command dial to change the aperture. Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure book does a good job of teaching how to use the exposure settings (aperture, shutter speed and ISO). If you use manual mode, you set the aperture by holding down the exposure compensation button and turning the dial, and turning the dial by itself changes shutter speed. You can set the function button to control ISO (or WB or other things) through the menus, or just keep it on auto ISO (and there are even settings for auto ISO like minimum shutter speed before upping ISO). Ken Rockwell's D40 manual does a good job of explaining things, as Adour mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  8. ILovePlaya

ILovePlaya TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank's for the help.
    Have another question while I'm here.
    Getting battery grip and need a bag to accomodate my d40 with 18-55mm
    lens and another landscape lens yet to be purchased.
    Any ideas on the bag or lens would be appreciated.
    Was looking at Lowepro bags.
    Thank's again for your help.
    Craig.;)

9. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well (someone's gonna strangle me for posting yet another recommendation for this one), I like my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (make sure you get the one with the built-in motor - well under 400 USD, sharp, nice wider angle, fast, pretty compact...
    As for bags, I also like my Lowepro Topload Zoom 1. If you don't plan to get a bigger lens, the Topload Zoom Mini is a little more compact. If I could go back though, I'd probably get a backpack like a Lowepro Flipside to fit more of my stuff in.

10. ILovePlaya

ILovePlaya TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank's for the help.
    Will check them out.
    Craig.;)