D40 noobie... C&C my first shots

benner410

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

^^^ This one was edited to bring out a "cold-steel" feeling.

tree.png

DSC_0077.jpg

I'm sure there are tons of things that could be corrected next time, so let me know please. Thanks!

#1 - I like how you used a shallow DOF to blur out the background a bit. Don't care for the bluish colorcast.

#2 - Not sure what you were trying to do with this shot. Was it night?

#3 - For people and animals always try to focus on the eyes. Don't care for the reddish/orange colorcast.

Maybe it's the artist in me who likes to try new and different things, but the middle one (#2) is the one I like most. It has such a strange and different feel to it. It's sharp and has a strangeness to it. Something can be done with it, but it needs contrast somewhere. I can see that it is at night or in the dark and I believe you used a little flash to create highlights on the trees? Looks like something I've seen in a commercial or something. Try taking a series like this and play with different settings. See what new and strange things you can come up with. It could become your own thing that people may want to buy and frame and hang up on their walls.

-Christopher

#2 definitely, it looks like an old black and white film.

The first picture went a bit overbord on the cold colors. I think it would look better if you warmed the picture up just a hair.

the second one is truely neato. Was it taken during that say and darkened? if not, it is still a cool shot. The sky looks like its a cloudy day/night.

I love the 3rd picture, could have focused on theface of the puppy :) but that most likely was an autofocus problem.bit to unfocused on the carpet (could have cropped a little off...again unchangable lens issues). I love picturec that incluse the floor/ground. I also like the warm colors of indoor shots.

reminds me of when I got my D40.
All look decent for your first shots - first shots always are your lamest while a your first time it some of your greatest.
#2 is the best IMO but I would suggest adding a vignette around the edges as a border and a silver texture over top (sumtin along those lines would really add to it

here is the original tree picture....

DSC_0054.jpg

and here is one a took a while back of my dog. You said to focus on the eyes, and that's what I did when i took it, but I guess the flash messed with his other eye.

DSC_0052.jpg

I see what you did with the tree photo now! And I love what you did making it black and white then you added some darkness around the edges! It really made the photo become a piece of art!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back