D40 or XS

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm close to getting one of these cameras. The D40 had been my favorite for the last few months, but I've recently figured out that it may not be a cheap comparatively to other cameras if you factor in cost of future lens purchases. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to add a prime 35 or 50 mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. These can be had relatively cheap from Canon, but the AF-S requirement for the D40 has me thinking twice.

The Canon XS also has LiveView as another feature I like. It isn't a deal-breaker though. Image quality is top priority followed by lens choices and price.

This will be my first experience with a DSLR, so I'm just looking for something to learn on that will take excellent pictures for the next few years. I plan to carry it often, so heft and size are also important (to a lesser degree than IQ).

I know similar questions pop up frequently, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I would appreciate anyone's advice on what is a major purchase for me.

You can pick up a 35mm f/1.8G for $199, it's a sweet lens that works great on the D40.

Image quality is top priority followed by lens choices and price.

This will be my first experience with a DSLR, so I'm just looking for something to learn on that will take excellent pictures for the next few years. I plan to carry it often, so heft and size are also important (to a lesser degree than IQ).

On image quality (IQ) the 1000D wins, the 40% more pixels accounts for that. On lens choices, it's a close call. On price, the D40 wins (25% savings on price). That's enough to buy a 50mm f/1.8 prime and nearly enough to cover the Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 prime.

As far as excellent pictures, that's totally up to you the photographer.

Both are so close to the same size and weight it doesn't matter as far as frequent carry. I carry a Nikon D60 daily, myself. I use the 18-55 mm kit lens. I keep it set to the 35mm focal length (no distortion) and f/8 and it's as sharp as a prime. But, the 1000D still has more usable high ISO capability.

Based on your stated requirements I'd have to recommend you get the Canon 1000D (XS) for the IQ and the live view. Just so you know: Any EF lenses you buy can't be used on Canon EF-S only camera bodies.

Just so you know: Any EF lenses you buy can't be used on Canon EF-S only camera bodies.

You've got this backwards/confused. You can't use EF-S lenses on a full frame or 1.3x camera body, but all EF lenses can be used on all Canon EOS bodies.

For the OP- what this means is that if you buy one of Canon's cropped-digital only lenses, which are demarcated by the "EF-S" label (some examples are the kit lens [18-55], and some specialized lenses that are reworked to provide focal ranges ideal to a cropped-sensor camera, such as the 10-22 and the 17-55/2.8 IS) you can't use those lenses on higher end Canons that have larger sensors. The Canons in production that these lenses don't work on are the: 1D mark III (1.3x), 1Ds mark III (1.0x), and the 5D mark II (1.0x)

Just so you know: Any EF lenses you buy can't be used on Canon EF-S only camera bodies.

I'm sure this is a typo, but just in case:

No. This is wrong.

There are no EF-S ONLY bodies. There are EF ONLY bodies though...

EF lenses will work fine on any body. EF-S lenses will not be able to be used on full frame bodies.

You've got this backwards/confused. You can't use EF-S lenses on a full frame or 1.3x camera body, but all EF lenses can be used on all Canon EOS bodies.

For the OP- what this means is that if you buy one of Canon's cropped-digital only lenses, which are demarcated by the "EF-S" label (some examples are the kit lens [18-55], and some specialized lenses that are reworked to provide focal ranges ideal to a cropped-sensor camera, such as the 10-22 and the 17-55/2.8 IS) you can't use those lenses on higher end Canons that have larger sensors. The Canons in production that these lenses don't work on are the: 1D mark III (1.3x), 1Ds mark III (1.0x), and the 5D mark II (1.0x)

I'm sure this is a typo, but just in case:

No. This is wrong.

There are no EF-S ONLY bodies. There are EF ONLY bodies though...

EF lenses will work fine on any body. EF-S lenses will not be able to be used on full frame bodies.
Ya, that's what I was trying to say.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for everyone's help. After visiting my local shop again, I came home thinking I'd stick with the D40 based on value. Then I found a special deal on the Canon XSi (which was previously out of my budget and thus not under consideration) and bought it with the EF-S 18-55 IS & 55-250 IS lenses. [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back