D40 or XS

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ronniedee, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ronniedee

Ronniedee TPF Noob!

I'm close to getting one of these cameras. The D40 had been my favorite for the last few months, but I've recently figured out that it may not be a cheap comparatively to other cameras if you factor in cost of future lens purchases. I'm pretty sure that I'll want to add a prime 35 or 50 mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. These can be had relatively cheap from Canon, but the AF-S requirement for the D40 has me thinking twice.

The Canon XS also has LiveView as another feature I like. It isn't a deal-breaker though. Image quality is top priority followed by lens choices and price.

This will be my first experience with a DSLR, so I'm just looking for something to learn on that will take excellent pictures for the next few years. I plan to carry it often, so heft and size are also important (to a lesser degree than IQ).

I know similar questions pop up frequently, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I would appreciate anyone's advice on what is a major purchase for me.

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can pick up a 35mm f/1.8G for $199, it's a sweet lens that works great on the D40.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

4. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You've got this backwards/confused. You can't use EF-S lenses on a full frame or 1.3x camera body, but all EF lenses can be used on all Canon EOS bodies.

For the OP- what this means is that if you buy one of Canon's cropped-digital only lenses, which are demarcated by the "EF-S" label (some examples are the kit lens [18-55], and some specialized lenses that are reworked to provide focal ranges ideal to a cropped-sensor camera, such as the 10-22 and the 17-55/2.8 IS) you can't use those lenses on higher end Canons that have larger sensors. The Canons in production that these lenses don't work on are the: 1D mark III (1.3x), 1Ds mark III (1.0x), and the 5D mark II (1.0x)

5. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure this is a typo, but just in case:

No. This is wrong.

There are no EF-S ONLY bodies. There are EF ONLY bodies though...

EF lenses will work fine on any body. EF-S lenses will not be able to be used on full frame bodies.

6. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ya, that's what I was trying to say.

Thanks guys.

8. Ronniedee

Ronniedee TPF Noob!

Thanks for everyone's help. After visiting my local shop again, I came home thinking I'd stick with the D40 based on value. Then I found a special deal on the Canon XSi (which was previously out of my budget and thus not under consideration) and bought it with the EF-S 18-55 IS & 55-250 IS lenses. [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]