D40 out.

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Innocence, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What a peice of junk.

ONLY compatible with AF-I and AF-S lenses? Are you kidding me? There is so much in the D40 that basicly just make it a glorified P&S camera. Limiting it to AF-S lenses only is RETARDED.

The Rebel is compatible with non-USM lenses, why the heck isn't the D40?
    Probably beucase the people that this camera is aimed towards won't ever be changing lenses.

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

You might not have read the brochure very carefully. It takes the vast majority of the auto focus Nikkors with full functionality - AF-S, AF-I, D, G - all of them. It takes Non CPU lenses in manual mode. In other words, it takes the same lenses as your D70 and your film Nikon. Is the D70 also retarded?

I don't know the pricing but this camera seems like terrific entry into the world of DSLR. I would sure recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up, Innocense, ha ha.

4. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only supporting auto focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses means they can leave the focus motor out of the body making it smaller, lighter and cheaper, which is the whole point. It's supposed to fit between the P&S cameras and the D50, looks to me like that's what it does. I think quite a few people looking for a high end P&S will make the move to DSLRs via the D40. Time will tell.

Edit: I've seen elsewhere this morning that the D40 is priced higher than the D50, if true this makes no sense to me.

5. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, assuming that this costs less than the D50 (which we don't know yet), this is my next camera.

6. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

Wrong. No AF on those lenses, which makes them 100% worthless to the people the D40 is marketed to.

8. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not totally wrong, the AF-S and AF-I lenses will auto focus. As for the D and G, that designation has nothing to do with auto focus; some AF-S lenses are G, some D, etc.
    It's really not a big deal, DX lenses are mostly (all?) Af-S anyway, as are many of the pro lenses, there is plenty to chose from for lenses with the D40, and since 99.9% of the people buying it aren't going to have a collection of lenses to start with it's a pretty minor issue, in my opinion anyway.

9. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who are you thinking these cameras will be marketed to? I think the pricing makes the D40 attractive to the higher end P&S market in which case they wouldn't have bought into a system yet and would probably be content with the kit lens.

If you ask me this is an awesome idea. As the prices are changing and dSLR can be made for cheaper they have to make a low priced option for the crowd that feels "I'd like one but I'm not committed enough to spend the money." If they get a portion of that market (I don't believe Canon or any company has a dSLR for cheaper than the D50 or D40) they'll most likely have them hooked due to the investment. How many of us would ditch our current system after using it for a year or two?

I dunno... my two cents. Despite the pro's / con's arguments I think this makes perfect business sense and Nikon is going to steal some P&S users.

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree...I think it's very smart marketing. A lot of consumers are starting to find out that a DSLR is much better than a digicam...despite the Megapixel count. Many of them don't want to spend $1000 however. They probably have little or no brand allegiance...and most likely don't have lenses already. They will just buy the cheapest DSLR they can find. If Nikon (or anyone) can hook these entry level DSLR users...they will most likely have them for life...so when or if they decide to upgrade...it will obviously be to Nikon gear.

The good news it that this will help to drive down other DSLR prices...and maybe get other companies to sell their own bare bones DSLR.

11. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

So it rules out every single prime (goodbye inexpensive low-light shooting), the 80-400VR (goodbye "inexpensive" wildlife shooting), the 80-200 f/2.8, gems like the 35-70 f/2.8, and any other number of great, reasonably priced glass? Sounds like the ultimate money-making scheme.

12. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my opinion people buying the D40 will have little use for any of those lenses. There are plenty of AF-S lenses available for the people that get the D40 instead of a P&S, and that's who this camera is aimed at. If they get to the point where those things you mention are important I'd think manual focus wouldn't be too much for them to handle or they'll just upgrade the body, and Nikon hopes they stay with the system. That seems to be the plan. I guess I don't see the problem, if it doesn't work for you, don't buy it.