d40 pop up flash

archer379

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my wife has a D40 today when we were out at a pumkin farm she asked me why the flash keeps poping up it was a nice bright sunny day. The camera is set on auto. Question is why would the camera think it needs the flash just wondering if there may be a proplem with it.

There is not a problem with it. I don't shoot on auto, but it may be because the camera may be taking a reading of the light on the subject (called metering). The light on the subject may be dark enough to cause the camera to think it needs flash. Did you go ahead and take the picture, and did it turn out ok? Sometimes, during the day a flash will prevent harsh shadows on your subject. It's called fill flash.

my wife has a D40 today when we were out at a pumkin farm she asked me why the flash keeps poping up it was a nice bright sunny day. The camera is set on auto. Question is why would the camera think it needs the flash just wondering if there may be a proplem with it.
Moe probably has your answer.

But, what lens was on the camera?

Another approach is to read the camera users manual so you have a little better understanding of how it works.

Most reactions

Back