d40 problem

FrankGHD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello i am new to fourm and i have been using my d40 for about 2 months now i bought it from my friend. When i take a picture i am seeing this circle it doesnt look like oil but i know its not suppose to be there any suggestions on how can i fix this and what exactly is causing this.

here are some examples
Hailey | Flickr - Photo Sharing!DSC_0103 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If possible, take some photos with a different lens. If it persists, the issue is on the camera sensor. If it goes away, check your lens.

okay yeah i've use a different lens it still does the same thing how could i fix this?

Then the issue is on the sensor. Monkeying with it isn't something you want to DIY. Take it back to the store for a cleaning or replacement.

The OP bought it from a friend and it's a D40. It's likely out of warranty and he's not the original buyer. It may need to go back to Nikon for repairs.

how much would it cost to fix it?

You need to learn about sensor dust and welded dust spots. As learning how to clean the sensor will get rid of most. But some like welded dust spots sensor needs to be wet cleaned. You can learn to do it yourself or a camera shop will do it for around $40. Doing your self requires a kit of E2 Eclipse fluid and Sensor swabs to clean.

And generally if you shoot at below f8 like f1.8 or f2.8 f4 and spots ain't there then is definitely dust spots which begin to show in pick by f8,f11,f16 by f22 well defined spots. Many don't even know they have dust on their sensors as they shoot mostly below f8 where dust is invisible to the sensor.

My old D40 blog with all my old Cleaning Links.

The OP bought it from a friend and it's a D40. It's likely out of warranty and he's not the original buyer. It may need to go back to Nikon for repairs.
Being no longer in warranty means it doesn't have to be sent to Nikon, but certainly can be. It can be sent to any repair facility.

Nikon USA Service only has 4 repair pricing levels: A, B, C, and D. A is the least expensive, and D is the most expensive. I haven't had Nikon do any repairs for me in years, so I don't know what the current prices for the 4 levels are.

If the camera does not have a USA serial number, Nikon USA will not work on the camera, even if it is a paid for, non-warranty repair.

First consider the independent, Nikon Authorized Repair Stations - Nikon Authorized Repair List.

Then there are local shops, or places like www.KEH.com, which is in Atlanta.

Well there ya' go! KmH knows a hell of a lot more than me--listen to him. I have the D40 too as a backup body and I love it!

More than likely there is dirt on the sensor, which will show up regardless of which lens is on the camera.

A blower brush might help dislodge it, or you could have it professionally cleaned.

Dust/debris on the image sensor only becomes visible in photos when smaller apertures, like f/11, f/16, f/22, are used.

If dust/debris is seen in the viewfinder, it can't be on the image sensor.

Dust/debris on the image sensor only becomes visible in photos when smaller apertures, like f/11, f/16, f/22, are used.

If dust/debris is seen in the viewfinder, it can't be on the image sensor.

Good point KmH but OP: "When i take a picture i am seeing this circle"

Confusing as he is not clarifying "I see this circle when looking thru the viewfinder" or "I see this circle when looking at picture on lcd preview or on computer in post"

But yep could be dust in viewfinder and found my Giotto Rocket blower aimed up in the viewfinder assembly usually takes care of dust on viewfinder assembly also.

Frank,

Go buy or order a sensor cleaning kit and a rocket blower. If you are not too sure how to clean your sensor just google it and you'll find lots of tutorials. Don't be afraid to learn how to do this, cleaning your camera is as important as formating your memory cards and doing regular backups.

Most reactions

Back