D40 versus D50

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RMThompson, Jan 3, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok guys, I know this has been discussed before, but I am buying my first DSLR soon, and I need to really get a feel of which is the better camera.

D40 or the D50.

On the D50's side the extra screen and the motorized AF for a wider use of lens are the plusses.

On the D40's side you have possibly better glass, and supposedly cripser pics and less noise.

I can actually get the D50 right now for D50 with a 28-90, and that seems like the better deal, but I wonder about the D40.

If I dont have any lenses now, will it matter that the D40 only uses specific lenses? Are they much more expensive?

Discuss:

2. CMan

CMan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DO NOT get the D40, unless you like having everything hidden in a series of menus.

It's small, it's cramped, and it's unintuitive. Plus, the autofocus capability with only AF-S lenses is quite limiting. The D50 is 100x more the camera than the D40 ever will be in my opinion.

3. phil-ray

phil-ray TPF Noob!

dont even look at the d40, ive had a d50 for nearly a year now and i still love it, cant beat it

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's COMPLETE BS. the only thing different from the 2 kit lenses is the barrel design. The glass is the same.