D40 vs. D60

doylie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the D40 now, looking into a few new lenses, but when I shop, I get the itch to upgrade. I couldn't, money-wise, go past the D60 for a few months at least, so is there any point in upgrading? Or should I save my money and upgrade later to D90+++?

I have the D40 now, looking into a few new lenses, but when I shop, I get the itch to upgrade. I couldn't, money-wise, go past the D60 for a few months at least, so is there any point in upgrading? Or should I save my money and upgrade later to D90+++?

Basis tenet in the hobby of photography is that the picture or product is not dependent on the camera but on the one taking the picture. I saw a picture taken from D40 and it landed on the assignment page of a famous photography magazine. Well, as long as you get the right aperture and, ISO shutter speed, you got the best picture ever. It takes one to experiment and keep on experimenting with his/her camera to be a pro. I am not but an amateur. Just passed to me by some elders in club.

Basis tenet in the hobby of photography is that the picture or product is not dependent on the camera but on the one taking the picture. I saw a picture taken from D40 and it landed on the assignment page of a famous photography magazine. Well, as long as you get the right aperture and, ISO shutter speed, you got the best picture ever. It takes one to experiment and keep on experimenting with his/her camera to be a pro. I am not but an amateur. Just passed to me by some elders in club.

+1, also, always keep an eye out for deals in the paper at local electronic stores and such, usually good packages / kits for sale.

Honestly I am going through the same dilemma. This is my stand point on it, I purchased my D40 with the intentions to learn and use it as a trainer. I must admit I feel that not only is this camera a good transition between point and shoot but also good for everyday use. I suggest continue to use your D40, learn the features also learn how and when to use certain lenses. I have had my now for a little over a year and I am still learning. Now honestly feel that I am ready to invest not spend money in a new body and a few more lenses I have been eyeing. Here is a small suggestion take you time experiment don't get frustrated, if you have a question refer to the forum for guidance.

Good luck!

K since no one else said it, I will: DONT BUY THE D60 IF U HAVE A D40...not enough difference. Wait till u can get a D90 or better...

Or, if you do want a new camera that bad, get teh D200 from best buy.

Last edited:
I would skip right on past the D60 if I was you. You'll gain nothing from the upgrade other than a 10mp sensor and a stop motion movie function (that I never used). Get the D90 or the D200 (which as stated is only $600 at BB right now), and get some nice prime AF lenses. Really though, if you don't plan on buying extra lenses (not AF-S), shooting video, printing large prints, or working with off camera flash, keep the D40.

thank you for the feedback!

I remember two pictures taken one by D60 and one by D40. They were landscapes and landed in a prominent photography magazine. It took one D60 to have shutter speed of 1 minute. The picture turned up to be perfect. One reason why it was featured in the magazine.

Last edited:
I remember two pictures taken one by D60 and one by D40. They were landscapes and landed in a prominent photography magazine. It took one D60 to have an exposure time of 1 minute. The picture turned up to be perfect. One reason why it was featured in the magazine.

Nobody is saying the D60 has inferior image quality, it just lacks a lot of features most photographers could use. I owned one and found many of it's features to be quite limiting (like the 3 AF points, no wireless flash, no AF motor, etc). It is a great camera to learn on, but I wouldn't say it's much of an upgrade from the D40.

Nobody is saying the D60 has inferior image quality, it just lacks a lot of features most photographers could use. I owned one and found many of it's features to be quite limiting (like the 3 AF points, no wireless flash, no AF motor, etc). It is a great camera to learn on, but I wouldn't say it's much of an upgrade from the D40.
I wirelessly trigger my SB-800 OC with my D60 all the time but yes the D60 lacks some features, but it has a low cost and some of those missing features can be made up for with a bit of ingenuiety and skill.

Most reactions

Back