D40 with older lenses?

ecnal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lancewilkinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple older lenses from my FM2 film SLR. It's fully manual, as are the lenses. Any chance there's any way to use them with a D40, or am I screwed?

I know that I would have to control everything, it's fine. Fun for learning/experimenting. But all my D40 says is 'No lens attached!'.

I'm sad. :(

Have to switch it over to manual mode, along with manual focus as well.

Should work!

Yes the older lenses will work. You need to turn that little dial to 'M' to use it in the manual mode. I have a D40 and regularly use the 30 year old f/1.8 50mm that my parents gave me.

+1 to the above posts. I've used an old 55mm 1.2 on my old D40. Works fine in Manual mode.

Have to switch it over to manual mode, along with manual focus as well.

Should work!

BTW, "manual mode" should be "manual exposure mode".

Also, unlike using manual exposure with your AF-s kit lens on the D40, when you use older AI and AI-s Nikkor (e.g. those that were in use when the FM2 was current) there is not metering at all. You will have to find some other way to determine exposure.

Thanks guys. Not sure why I didn't think to put it in M. The lens still takes some nice pictures, however it's the kind that has the slider to zoom/focus and that has a life of its own when the camera's at an angle. Ohwell!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back