d40x gone - now what?

kdabbagh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a dilemma. I believe I've used the D40x to its potential, and I've become really frustrated with the lens limitations, so I sold it yesterday with my 18-135 nikkor (came in the kit) for $550CDN. I think I got a good deal on it especially that you can buy a brand new D60 with 18-55 for around $600CDN.

So now I am stuck between the D90 and the D300. I have some good deals on both of them, but not sure which one is best for me. I can get the D300 for just a bit more than the D90. Here is the offer I have on the D300 - I pushed the price down to $1400 CDN.

BNIB NIKON D300 with 18-70mm DX LENS 1 Actuation

Here is the offers I am getting on the D90, with the second one I pushed the price down to $1590CDN.

69105 NIKON D90 KIT WITH AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105MM F3.5-5.6 G ED VR LENS,Review - Cendirect Canada

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body +5 Lens 16gb * NEW * on eBay.ca (item 130318757884 end time 13-Aug-09 17:49:51 EDT)

Now I've done some research and it seems that consensus on how these two cameras differ revolves around the 51 point auto-focus system, the durability, and the speed of the D300 over the D90.

I do mostly outdoor photography, focusing on landscapes, waterscapes, and urban photography. I am going on a trip to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and India real soon and want to do lots of street photography. Hopefully sometime in the near future I want to cover some more local events and get into wedding photography - as an assistant or intern at first.

So basically I need a camera that will help me...
- shoot in low light situations
- shoot outdoors
- autofocus with my 50mm f/1.8 (they both do, I know)
- and is a good investment

The only thing that concerns me about the D300 in general is that it uses CF cards, which means all 16 GB of memory I have in SD will be gone to waste. Also, the offer I mentioned above for the D300 is kind of sketching me out because it was a demo at a store (brand new though). However, the lens that comes with it is great.

The offers I have on the D90 are good too, especially the one on ebay seems like the way to go.

I just need some guidance on what to do at this point, I have around $1500 CDN I am willing to spend...any advice would be great!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For what it's worth, I have a D90 and wouldn't trade it for a D300 (or D700 as far as that goes). The video alone is worth it to me over the features the D300 or D700 that the D90 doesn't.

Last edited:
I will be watching this thread to see the advice given, as I am trying to decide between these two bodies for future upgrade. As far as the ebay deal, I would personally run as fast as could as far away from that as I could get. It looks to me like they are trying to unload a bunch of cheap junk by packaging it with a nice camera and charging too much for it. (I could be wrong but I didn't see anything there I would go out and buy)
Also have you looked at the reviews for the 18-105 that comes with the other D90?

I will be watching this thread to see the advice given, as I am trying to decide between these two bodies for future upgrade. As far as the ebay deal, I would personally run as fast as could as far away from that as I could get. It looks to me like they are trying to unload a bunch of cheap junk by packaging it with a nice camera and charging too much for it. (I could be wrong but I didn't see anything there I would go out and buy)
Also have you looked at the reviews for the 18-105 that comes with the other D90?

Agreed... stay away from that package on ebay. Everything there is useless with exception to the 50mm 1.8 . That flash is junk everything is junk!!! don't get that.

d90, I know a bunch who have it and swear by it. This whole thing with video will only be useful to you if you plan on making your own video's. If you buy the 300s when it comes out and your planning on making video's then buy a external mic for it.

Unfortunately, I do not have the cash for the D300s :/

Yeah I read a few reviews on the 18-105 and from what I gather it is a pretty good lens for the price, and it is very similar to the 18-135 that I used to own.

In terms of the ebay package, I also read some reviews that focused on the sweet spots of the lenses included. I know they're not great but I figured they will do the job.

I am really lost now...the D90 seems great along with the lens that comes with it (in terms of my budget)...anyone else have other ideas/comments/advice? I am a bit confused by the 51-point autofocus area of the D300...what does that achieve exactly in comparative advantage over the D90?

For what it's worth, I have a D90 and wouldn't trade it for a D300 (or D700 as far as that goes). The video alone is worth it to me over the features the D300 or D700 that the D90 doesn't.

Really? I've been debating on selling my D90 (which is only 2 months old) and going with the D700. Is the D90 FTW a common view point?

kdabbagh,

The D300 without doubt:
  • Metal body, not plastic like the D90
  • Weather sealing, none in the D90
  • 9 auto bracket, not 3.
  • CF memory, not SDHC.
  • 3 group CLS, not 2
  • 1/8000, not 1/400
  • Full RAW file, not compressed
  • 100% viewfinder
  • 6 fps, 8 w/grip, not 4.5
  • 10 pin remote, not wireless only
  • the list goes on. Other than sharing an image sensor, the D300 waxes the D90, IMO.

Last edited:
kdabbagh,

The D300 without doubt:
  • 9 auto bracket, not 3
  • 3 group CLS, not 2
  • 1/8000, not 1/4000
  • the list goes on. Other than sharing an image sensor, the D300 waxes the D90, IMO.

Only if you use those features and they are important to you, otherwise the image quality itself is the same and there are reports the high ISO on the D90 is actually better than that of the D300.

That said, the weather sealing might come in handy in the desert (sand). But there again you'll need the pro lenses that are also weather sealed to really make it work.

Last edited:
D300....damn fine camera. D90, fine camera in a crap box. Get the D300, and don't look back.

You've got to be kidding me.

The video is mediocre at best.

For what it's worth, I personally would trade my D90 for a D300 or D700 all day long. The many autofocus points, along with faster shutter speeds and build quality are just a few reasons why I would.

No, I'm not kidding... I'm not a pro photographer, my subjects are my family and I tell you - having video ability with you everywhere you go is awesome! And I'm quite happy with the quality, thank you.

4.5 frames per second is plenty fast if you know what you're doing, plus I don't shoot anything where that 1.5 shots is going to make a difference. Build quality? D90 has a metal frame and rigid body, no it's not magnesium alloy but I really don't care - the lighter weight is more important to me since I don't throw my camera around. I've had a D200, you can have that extra weight! As far as the autofocus points, sure it would be nice but 11 is way better than the 3 I had with my D40, and to be honest I only use the center one 95% of the time anyway (focus and recompose).

To each their own, that's my opinion - you're entitled to yours.

PS
I guess I would trade... then I'd sell it and buy another D90 and have cash left over :)

My only wish for the D90 would be an integrated GPS so I didn't have to attach one... but I'm grateful it supports it!

Last edited:
kdabbagh,

The D300 without doubt:
  • 9 auto bracket, not 3
  • 3 group CLS, not 2
  • 1/8000, not 1/4000

Only if you use those features and they are important to you, otherwise the image quality itself is the same and there are reports the high ISO on the D90 is actually better than that of the D300.

That said, the weather sealing might come in handy in the desert (sand). But there again you'll need the pro lenses that are also weather sealed to really make it work.
Live your siggy quote. :lol:

Most reactions

Back