D40X viewfinder defect?

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I see two mechanical thing in viewfinder (bottom area). I try to adjust the diopter adjustment and the mechanic thing move but don't disappear. What is the problem my Nikon D40X is defect ?

I see the mechanical thing in viewfinder (bottom area) at bright light.

Not your really sure what your talking about. Im pretty sure the diopeter adjustment slide is on the right side of the viewfinder.

In viewfinder I see the focus screen with brackets (left, center and right focus point).

I look down in viewfinder. I see two mechanical thing under viewfinder LCD.

This is normal ?

Ah, do you mean there looks to be 2 black bars at the bottom of the viewfinder? Yes, this is normal when the diopter is adjusted all the way to "+".

Ah, do you mean there looks to be 2 black bars at the bottom of the viewfinder? Yes, this is normal when the diopter is adjusted all the way to "+".
yes the two black bars, but I see the same thing with maximum and minimum diopter.

Please look in your viewfinder at bright light, for example a bulb. And tell me you see the two black bars, at minimun and maximum diopter level?

I remove the lens. The mirror & focusing screen looks good. Hmm.. Is possible -> Something moved in viewfinder (between eye and focusing screen) ?

Someone with D40/D40X want to help me a bit?

Please look in your viewfinder at bright light (a bulb), and tell me what you see at the bottom of the viewfinder (under viewfinder lcd). You see something big which move the diopter ?

Please help me.. Do this for me!

Sorry, I'm back now. Yes, I do see it both at the min and max settings. It doesn't interfere much for me, though. It's really annoying, because you can't take a photo of a problem like that. But I think I get what you're talking about, and that is perfectly normal.

In viewfinder I see the focus screen with brackets (left, center and right focus point).

I think that three in the middle of the screen has something to do with metering, either spot or matrix. Those are for the camera - not us.

I look down in viewfinder. I see two mechanical thing under viewfinder LCD.

The far left on the bottom is the focusing precission indication. If you use manual focusing that little thing helps you to see if the object is in focus or out of focus.

Right next to it is the shutter speed indication, than next to it is the aperture.

Right next to it is the sliding exposure bars which you decide to make it over exposed photos or under exposed photos. This diopter will flash if the camera thinks it is not correctly exposed. If you use the Auto or P mode than you don't need to worry about it. In manual mode this diopter is good metering guide for us. I don't follow that metering guide 100%.

Right next to it in the bracket should be the number of available shot remaining for you, depending on how big is your card. Mine is 4Gb therefore it only says 1.2K instead of 1200. Once I have take hundred of photos the number than will use the proper number, eg 985 instead of 0.9k.

Right next to it is use by the Flash icon and the question mark icon for help section. Either one of these will flash if the camera thinks you don't follow it's guide.

That are what I see so far. Anyone else to add?

I see the focus screen and the LCD screen in viewfinder. I know which option what do.

But I see a strange glass under the viewfinder LCD screen which move the diopter. At bright light I see the glass better. Something moved in my camera :( :( :( ?

It's normal. I think it's just the mechanism for moving the viewfinder back and forth. I'm not really sure though. My D40 has it though.

Most reactions

Back