D5 not as iso invarient as other nikon dslrs

Interestingly if you compare it to the Canon 80D on the same site the performance seems about similar - could it be Nikon has lost a contract to trade with Sony or somesuch? The performance does seem to be a big step backwards for them

It does seem that nikons flagship series cameras don't generally have as good dynamic range as there other fx cameras, but I'd say these charts don't really matter for the target audience these cameras are aimed at. I'm sure landscape guys will have a different model. It is strange that new isn't "New and improved" though

Where's the caveat you always see on new Canon test bodies "non-production test model, results will be better in a real model"??

They're doing the low-light exposure latitude and ISO invariance tests using ACR. They should know better. That's a huge mistake. They'll get entirely different results if they do those tests with a different raw converter. There are some things (low light especially) where you don't want to standardize with Adobe. Do the tests with C1 or RT and you'll draw entirely different conclusions. Math precision in the raw converter matters. Adobe is optimized for speed over IQ and in low light it's a big deal.

Joe

Doesn't Nikon use their own sensor on the upper end bodies
and use Sony for most everything else.

I seriously doubt it will make much of a difference to the folks that will most likely be interested in a D5

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

As the dPreview article mentions, the camera has been optimized for high ISO performance, and aimed at people who will not be planning on "underexposing then brightening" in post". This camera is aimed at the ISO 3200 and up people who will be using the camera the way most journalists will be using it: actually setting the ISO values very high, in-camera...and the ones who shoot for say, Reuters, will be required to submit SOOC JPEG files. Remember, this camera has stupid-high ISO limits. For people who want a camera with a high degree of ISO invariance, Nikon has the D610, D750, and D810. The F5 is aimed at people who want the insane battery life, fast firing, fast handling, and toughness and durability of a 1-digital Nikon camera.

I looked at the studio scene comparisons...it's pretty obvious, this camera is designed for use the old-school way. Want ISO 3,200? The you set the ISO to 3,200. Want ISO 6,400? Then set the ISO on the camera, so the rear LCD's image review will show what the actual JPEG file looks like: this is a camera that professional shooters will be buying, and most of them will want to see what the FINAL image looks like: this is not for people who want to shoot with the shutter cranked to a five- or six-stoop speed elevation, and who are willing to look at a nearly black LCD image and say, "Yeah, I know the LCD image looks like a coal mine now--but once I get back to my computer and push-process the .NEFs, it'll brighten up just fine." Nope. D5 users will likely want to SEE the exposure's effect on the camera-generate JPEG files shot at higher ISO levels.

This flip side of the loss of ISO invariance is this, according to dPreview: " High ISO image quality, especially, has been a point of pride for Nikon in its flagship DSLRs since the D3, and as we'd expect, the D5 raises this already ridiculously high bar even further. "

Again--this is a camera that has ISO settings that reach stratospheric heights.

Last edited:
The F5 is aimed at people who want the insane battery life, fast firing, fast handling, and toughness and durability of a 1-digital Nikon camera.
I just had to quote this sentence, these two errors are just too funny.

1. D5, not F5 ...

2. "One-digit DSLR", not "one-digital camera". Its not a Nikon 1 camera either !

I am happy with it myself.

I am happy with it myself.
You've received one already? Lucky you! Are you in the UK or elsewhere? I'm still waiting for mine, with no date estimation of when it will arrive - and that's being on the NPS list. Personally, this test is irrelevant for me, as I do performing arts production photography and it's the high ISO I need it for (and faster AF wouldn't go amiss either!). Deliberately underexposing at ISO100 and then pushing it several stops is not something that I'd need to do - having seen this test, if I did need to, I'd try it with my D810. I'm finding lower and lower levels of lighting in productions, particularly contemporary dance - for instance, last week I photographed a ballet where I was shooting no lower than 6,400 and a lot of the time at 12,800, with no higher shutter speed than 1/250th (not fast enough to stop a dancer at speed!) and some of the time I resorted to 1/30th. If the D5 had already arrived, I'd have had no qualms about pushing the ISO high enough to get a decent shutter speed - I currently use the D3s but tried the D4s in Aug 2014 and it was a game changer then, so I can only imagine how much better the improved ISO of the D5 is!

The F5 is aimed at people who want the insane battery life, fast firing, fast handling, and toughness and durability of a 1-digital Nikon camera.
I just had to quote this sentence, these two errors are just too funny.

1. D5, not F5 ...

2. "One-digit DSLR", not "one-digital camera". Its not a Nikon 1 camera either !

Yeah..my diabetes was flaring up and my blood sugar level was making my eyes not focus too well. Go ahead... f***ing laugh it up at my expense.

EVERYONE CHILL

Take a deep breath - and relax - its just a forum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back