D5 Rumors - 4K, 15fps, native ISO 100k

Solarflare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I heard it might be the first DSLR to have ISO over a million. Thats a bit insane.

Assuming all is true then what I think is.............

1.Pro camera
2.Pro price
3.Pro specs

Its not for hobbyists like most of us here, even if money wasn't a problem (which it is) then I wouldn't want or need it.
But if I was a pro wildlife/sports photographer then absolutely I would want it.

A couple nights ago, I watched well-known videographer Phillip Bloom's review on the Sony A7s, and its ultra-high ISO capabilities...shooting at Brighton Pier after dark, the Sony at ISO 80,000 easily turned "night into day"...and looked pretty good doing so. The video footage he said could easily be graded up or down...the 50,000 and 80,000 ISO stuff looked really quite good. For people shooting video, these higher ISO settings, as he said, allow you to shoot at high ISO settings at f/stops that give useful, workable depth of field on a full-frame camera. I have a feeling that if the D5 shoots 4k video, they will of course end up needing to discard a lot of the outer image pixels, and that the 4k frame will be a bit smaller than FX, and will be an available optional in-camera crop/aspect ratio choice, of the type Nikon has been outfitting its pro cameras since the D2x appeared in late 2004.

can I whine about Nikon limiting it to only 15 fps? or only 20mp ?
or having a Pro price instead of a d3x00 price ?

A couple nights ago, I watched well-known videographer Phillip Bloom's review on the Sony A7s, and its ultra-high ISO capabilities...shooting at Brighton Pier after dark, the Sony at ISO 80,000 easily turned "night into day"...and looked pretty good doing so. The video footage he said could easily be graded up or down...the 50,000 and 80,000 ISO stuff looked really quite good. For people shooting video, these higher ISO settings, as he said, allow you to shoot at high ISO settings at f/stops that give useful, workable depth of field on a full-frame camera. I have a feeling that if the D5 shoots 4k video, they will of course end up needing to discard a lot of the outer image pixels, and that the 4k frame will be a bit smaller than FX, and will be an available optional in-camera crop/aspect ratio choice, of the type Nikon has been outfitting its pro cameras since the D2x appeared in late 2004.
Didn't I read someplace that Nikon has made a full featured converter for Sony cameras to use Nikon lenses ?

can I whine about Nikon limiting it to only 15 fps? or only 20mp ?
or having a Pro price instead of a d3x00 price ?

Yes you can. With Canon putting 10 fps on the 7D mk II, I think that they should start putting at least 10 fps on all cameras, and the really high end could be like 15-20 fps. That's not too much to ask, huh Canon/Nikon???????

Didn't I read someplace that Nikon has made a full featured converter for Sony cameras to use Nikon lenses ?
No, Nikon themselves of course offers no such thing. Why would they ? They want you to buy Nikon cameras and Nikon lenses.

The company that wants to offer a Nikon F to Sony FE adapter with AF is Metabones. They already offer a Canon EF to Sony FE adapter with AF.

Yes you can. With Canon putting 10 fps on the 7D mk II, I think that they should start putting at least 10 fps on all cameras, and the really high end could be like 15-20 fps. That's not too much to ask, huh Canon/Nikon???????
Well, considering they have to move the mirror up and down 20 times per second for that, yes thats is INDEED a LOT to ask. So much flapping around should create a good challenge to compensate this

They probably should just offer 60 fps in lifeview mode and be done with it. Also need to license dualpixel technology from Canon and give the camera a lot of computing power (and the sensor speed) so they can autofocus well in lifeview. Oh and lifeview mode will activate an EVF too.

Putting thing in perspective, 20/fps is about twice the rate of fire as an M16. This old film guy could care less. If my Hasselblad would have fired that fast I would have been changing backs in about a half a second. Kodak would have loved that. I just could not wind and fire that quick.

Sounds like it will be a fantastic camera. I shot a lot of ducks, deer, and many other critters with ASA 400. When I see the incredible low light performance in cameras I wonder what the high end night vision equipment, we do not know about, must be like. I just thought my Gen 3 was good.

Times have changed.

Roger

Last edited:
Too high native ISO is a very bad thing. You can boost ISO but if you reduce ISO you will hurt quality a lot more. I don't think you can reduce ISO by more than 2 stops without seriously hurt quality.

@ 15 fps with a shutter rating of 400,000 you could in theory reach your shutter expectancy in 7.5 hrs (useless fact)

No you cant - because all these images have to be written to the card, too - and once the buffer size is hit, the fps will slow down very substantly.

Also of course the main reason why shutters have a count is dirt entering the camera, setting on the parts of the shutter, making the stress on the shutter uneven thus and wearing it down. If you never change the lens, and your shutter thus can stay perfectly dirt free, the shutter expectancy goes up a lot.

Too high native ISO is a very bad thing. You can boost ISO but if you reduce ISO you will hurt quality a lot more. I don't think you can reduce ISO by more than 2 stops without seriously hurt quality.

??? I'd rather have 102,400 ISO native than extended.

your statement is very confusing, you're saying too high is bad, then talk about low ISO.

Most reactions

Back