D50 + 50mm 1.8 observations

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RMThompson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I don't really have any examples to post, except this one:

(my daughter pointing herself out as VIP of the week at school)

[​IMG]

BUT I got my 50mm 1.8 in yesterday!

Observations:

First thing I noticed is the weight of the lens. Everyone told me how cheap it feels, but compared to the kit lens, which now could be a gumball toy, it's very hefty and feels like a perfect fit on the camera.

It was a little tight when motioning into place, and of course I thought it was in, tried to Autofocus, and it didn't work. After a few seconds I twisted is the extra 1/32nd of an inch, and it clicked, and all was well.

It focuses FAST... as fast or faster then the 18-55 surely... and the manual focus ring is awesome.

So I threw the D50 into APERATURE priority, notched the Fstop to 1.8 and went crazy. I took a lot of pictures, some blurry, but some seemed like "the money".... but when I got them home, they were just a tad too blurry. I was walking and shooting, nothing really planned, so Im not terrible upset about it. In manual mode I am positive I could set the shutter speed myself and have grrrrrrreat shots. (Which reminds me, there should be a Aperature mode that wont go BELOW a predetermined shutter speed, like 1/60th... would be a neat mode)

The "bokeh" effect on this lens is AMAZING. You cannot see it on the above pic, because it was a crop of a larger pic, but WOW.

The ONLY issue, and I hope someone can tell me how to fix it, was what seemed like some white "mist" creeping from the bottom of the frame in a few pics. I'll have to post an example, but it was only in bright sun so i am thinking a Lens Hood might solve this, not sure.

So far, so good. Any tips/tricks I should try? I have a model shoot this weekend and I am hoping to use this lens~!

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    A lens hood is good. Especially if you turn the camera on it's side for a portrait and the white mist is still on the bottom. ;)

I haven't shot a D50 but have you had a chance to try the color control? On my D when set all the way up the colors are Velva like.

mike

3. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wonder what I'm doing wrong. The 50mm really doesn't give me very sharp results. I even tried to find a sweet spot a few f stops up, but nothing really worked.

4. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    Have you tried another one? What were the ap/shutter speed? Could you post examples?

mike

5. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure you were requesting I post a picture, but I would have to post a very large image. It's relatively sharp when zoomed out, but if you zoom all the way to max resolution, it's not that clear. With the rare exception of a few pictures.

6. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    Photo bucket shouldn't mind too much. It's the only way to see what's going on for sure. Leave the meta-data attached to the photo if you would.

7. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not to hijack the thread, but post a picture at say 1024x768 (or 1280x1024 if you can) and then do a full size crop, where you take the original image and crop out a 1024x768 portion so the picture is viewed at 100% size. Make sure you keep the EXIF.

And about the 50mm 1.8 not being so sharp on some pictures, if you are shooting at 1.8 the DOF tends to be very shallow, so only the exact focus point will be sharp. Also camera shake can cause some problems.

8. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  9. Mike_E

Photos OK to edit
    OK, as far as i can tell there is no point that is in focus (not an exhaustive study but..) so you may have a bad lens.

First thing though, try shooting at f5.6 and see what you have. Focus on the brick wall about grass high so you can see the grass on half the photo -you can tell if the focus point is before the wall.

Then focus on an object about 10 feet in front of the wall on the grass with the wall in the background to see if your focus point is behind the intended spot. If this is inconclusive, go to a store that has another one and see if it works in your camera. If it does, you have a bad lens if not then you need to have your camera looked at. Make sure you have the lens fully seated (twisted all the way to the stop) as well because that sometimes will cause a problem.

mike

10. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, that picture has no focus point. On your camera force it to use the center focus point for this test. Then take a picture of anything continuous (street, book with words on it, whatever) so we can see where the actual focus point is. Put a marker down to show where you are trying to focus and with the center point being the only point used, the center should be in focus otherwise it could be a lens problem. Shoot at f/8. With something continuous there isn't a change in contrast or anything that would make finding the focus point hard. it is very easy to see what part of a book is in focus because the rest of the lines are blurry.

As for resizing, what I mean is you take a picture, resize it for the internet (800x600 or 1024x768) and then you save as whatever you want. Go back to the original file and crop out a portion that is 800x600 pixels or 1024x768 pixels and save that. What this does is gives us a full sized image to look at, and the second picture gives us a 100% magnification of the original, because often pictures shrunk to internet size do not show the detail needed to troubleshoot.

Here is an example I did with the K10D to illustrate noise at ISO 1600
    http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78903

11. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    those arent nearly as soft as the one above.

PS, I love those model shots. I trust she was happy with the outcome?