D50, here I come!

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have spent way, way too long thinking about a new camera. I've changed my mind so many times that my husband laughs every time I say "I've picked a camera". But... This time it is for real. I'm going to get a D50! YAY!!! If Santa doesn't come through for me, I'm going to be at the camera store when it opens on the 26th! :D

~jen

Err I dont mean to ruin your parade, but I would look for a nice deal on the D40. Similar camera with some updated features.

600 bucks with an 18-55 lens! :)

600 bucks with an 18-55 lens!

The D50 I bought came with an 18-55MM lens as well, and cost significantly less (on the used market of course - but then the camera isnt even THAT old).

Heres a link that compares the D50 to the D40 - can see if any of the tradeoffs are worth it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40/

I have a D50 it cost me £500 with the 18-55 lens and a Tamron 70-300 macro zoom lens, it's a great camera. D40 is a little smaller - you loose the control panel but all settings get done through the LCD - which would be handy if you plan using the camera in the dark because the control panel on the D50 is not backlit (however the shutter speed etc is indicated in the viewfinder and is lit up in there.

I read somewhere on this forum that not all the D40 AF lenses will be compatible with future Nikon cameras?...

I thought about the D40, but I want to have auto-focus when using the 50mm f1.8 prime lens. Plus, the $499 special at Ritz makes the D50 even more attractive.

~jen

britonk said:
Well the D50 is a good choice I am very happy with mine... gotta be careful not to start one of those brand wars here....

They are the same brand - o_0

Most reactions

Back