D50 or D70?

oleander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As is true to my usual fashion, before I go back to school in September (hopefully as a new law student!) I want to spend a good chunk of the money I earned this summer as a present to myself.

Here's my question. I've been looking a lot at the Nikon D50 and D70 because I'd like to really get into photography. So:

1. Which do you think is better for a beginner photographer, but that has the space for me to grow with it as I become better? I want to have a camera that is user-friendly at the beginning, but allows to me to change things as I look for more of a challenge.

2. Any really good books out there on how to start out with one of these cameras that will slowly introduce me to concepts of professional photography?

Either camera will be fine and allow you to grow. Both offer manual control of the exposure, and both allow interchangeable lenses, that will work with a host of other cameras in the Nikon lineup, should you choose to upgrade later.

Go to the store and try them out..hold them. You might find the D50 too small.

Digital Matt said:
Go to the store and try them out..hold them. You might find the D50 too small.

Doubtful that this will be the issue.. I have the "small hands" such as Austin Powers described of the carnies. :p That being said, I will check out both cameras.. I don't want to a) Pay too much for something that the lesser model would be fine for, or b) Buy the lesser model and realize a year or so down the road that I shortchanged myself on features.

oleander said:
Doubtful that this will be the issue.. I have the "small hands" such as Austin Powers described of the carnies. :p That being said, I will check out both cameras.. I don't want to a) Pay too much for something that the lesser model would be fine for, or b) Buy the lesser model and realize a year or so down the road that I shortchanged myself on features.
The most common limiting factor in photography is the photographer.

LWW

the deciding factors for me was the backlit top display and 2 control wheels on the D70 vs the one on the 50. Both cameras take identical pictures!

It doesn't matter at all what body you have. It's the lenses and photo technique that counts.

The only way to "outgrow" either of those bodies is to suddently need a much more sensitive autofocus system. So if you're planning on shooting events or action, then neither of them is going to be adequate you'll need D200 or 20/30D.

If you're shooting portraits or can afford to miss some of the action, then you basically can't outgrow either one of those bodies artistically. It's the consumer in you that will want the luxury and the advanced feature sets of the more expensive bodies.

All I can say.

Update: I bought the D50. Blacks was having a special where you got a free carrying case and a book, too. I'm in love with this camera! Because I'm basically photo-illiterate I've taken to going step-by-step through the manual, camera in hand, and trying out each technique and feature they say. I've played around with all the manual functions you can use with the auto settings. Now I'll try the MASP modes.

The Digital SLR for Dummies book I got too is really good - explains all the terminology and functions used with an SLR camera. Also slowly going through that and trying out different techniques. I suspect it'll be about a billion years before I know how to do everything, but it's still fun learning.

Most reactions

Back