D5000 vs new D3100

Status
Not open for further replies.
See here for DPReview's feature comparison of D3100 with D3000 and D5000.

Basically, the D3100 has better video and a slightly larger LCD. The D5000 has faster fps, bracketing, more active D-lighting modes and articulated LCD.

You will have a hard time even finding a D3100 I think. But regardless of that, you should stick to your D5000 if you're getting a new HD camcorder some time soon and will be using that for video mostly. The D5000 will do you better in terms of photographs.

I've just stumbled into having to make this decision as well....

( New to the forum .... hello! ;) )

My shiny new D5000 arrived from Amazon today. After much debate over the last month, visiting stores and looking at reviews to make my decision I finally settled that this was the camera for me. I've now just logged onto Nikon to register the camera and spotted the D3100 for the 1st time!!! Help!

Given I've not even charged up my D5000 as yet and this is my first DSLR - what should I do?

There seems to be availability of the D3100 for almost identical cost (although I did get my D5000 with Amazon vouchers and would have to go through the hassle of returning it and paying cash for the D3100 elsewhere to get a good deal).

I totally understand and agree that the better video performance is a 'nice to have' feature but if I'm serious about video it's best to get a HD camcorder anyway. It's just that annoying feeling that you're missing out on something when I can look and see the 1080 and auto-focus sitting there on the D3100. :confused: The primary function is obviously as a camera however and I'm not getting hung up on the 2mp difference nor the slightly larger screen.

From what I can understand, the D5000 has a few slightly better functions as a camera and possibly more importantly - has proven itself over a period of time - whereas the D3100 has yet to get out there. I'm trying to convince myself to stick with the D5000 and the only reason I can see not to is the increased video performance on the D3100.

Last edited:
sritchie,

Check out the dpreview comparison of these cameras I linked above. That highlights the differences pretty well.

If you are not in a hurry, another option is to return the D5000 and wait a month or so for the D90 replacement to be announces (expected mid September) and see what sort of deals you can find on a D90. As a still camera, the D90 is much better than the D5000 and the D3100. However, video-wise, even the D90 would be inferior to the D3100.

If your budget allow , I would return the D5000 and get the D90. If you get your money back it's even better to find a used D90 online or craigslist. If you have more budget, return the camera and wait for the D90 replacement. You will regret getting the D5000 one day when you get more serious with photography. Because if you're serious later on, more option for lens, buying used lens now will save you money plus external flash and other good stuff on the D90 that you can't do on the D5000 or D3100. If it's something you do every now and then then D5000 or D3100 are good camera.

stop noobing about, about megapixels for XD :confused:!
If thats your concern go pick up some canon d550 or a sony or something.

You will notice that most of the really highend cams don't even go higher than 12, 13 something.

I can't tell you wich is the better cam except obviously as mentioned above the 3100 is superior in video recording. Also it's newer wich might speak in its favor.

for photo overall quality the d5000 scores very well , mostly in color performance. see: DxOMark - List view

lastly thanks for the thread:D. I am also in the process of chosing, though I will probably end up getting the new d7000 for a little more money

Sorry for bumping into this thread but i am very much confused whether to go for the Nikon D3100 or the D5000. I am a beginner in DSLR and i only take pictures more than video. I read a few reviews on the net that only the video and MP is the change done.

What do you guys suggest? D3100 or D5000?

Recently one of my friend bought a D3100 saying that it has little more features than the D5000. But all i could notice is increase in MP and 1080HD video.

Sorry for bumping into this thread but i am very much confused whether to go for the Nikon D3100 or the D5000. I am a beginner in DSLR and i only take pictures more than video. I read a few reviews on the net that only the video and MP is the change done.

Recently one of my friend bought a D3100 saying that it has little more features than the D5000. But all i could notice is increase in MP and 1080HD video.

I have a D5000 and I like it's exclusive features; Live view, articulating screen (especially screen closed for protection), active-D lighting (I have not learned about it's use) and bracketing (has been fun to use).

I would like the larger screen of the D3100 and the auto-focus video.

I think if I could get one or the other $150 cheaper, I would go that route. For a discount, you're either gonna love your purchase or you will get by with it until you upgrade several hundred dollars from this entry level.

I have a D5000 and I like it's exclusive features; Live view, articulating screen (especially screen closed for protection), active-D lighting (I have not learned about it's use) and bracketing (has been fun to use).

I think if I could get one or the other $150 cheaper, I would go that route. For a discount, you're either gonna love your purchase or you will get by with it until you upgrade several hundred dollars from this entry level.
There is a deal on D3100 $800 and D5000 $870 with 2 lens kit 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR lens with nikon warranty and its brand new. So am confused which deal would be better. Or should i wait for the D5100?:confused:

There is a deal on D3100 $800 and D5000 $870 with 2 lens kit 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR lens with nikon warranty and its brand new. So am confused which deal would be better. Or should i wait for the D5100?:confused:

5100 haha. I forgot that the D5000 was recently discontinued. That's another plus for the D3100. I recently saw a D3100 at dealnews (it's not there right now, unless maybe you check the older deals at bottom of page) for about $540 with 1 or 2 lenses. It may have been a link to Tiger direct. I'll go look for it. No matter what, another good deal will come. $800 is TOO much.

Yep, I googled "D3100 deal news". The second hit was D3100 w/ 18-55 lens for $540 + free shipping. Deal expired. Just wait and watch. Another good deal will come before Christmas.

Yep, I googled "D3100 deal news". The second hit was D3100 w/ 18-55 lens for $540 + free shipping. Deal expired. Just wait and watch. Another good deal will come before Christmas.
They official Nikon website has deals on D3100, D90 and D7000 but not
D5000.:(

So the question is should i go for a discontinued model or wait for the upgraded version?

Nikon Circular

So the question is should i go for a discontinued model or wait for the upgraded version?

Nikon Circular

Adorama has a refurb 5000 w/ kit lens for $585 (with only 90 day warranty). I personally like the the sound of $650 for a current (not discontinued) 3100. I would still wait the rest of the month, unless you need it now.

Nikon Circular

Adorama has a refurb 5000 w/ kit lens for $585 (with only 90 day warranty). I personally like the the sound of $650 for a current (not discontinued) 3100. I would still wait the rest of the month, unless you need it now.
Hmmm. I dont need it currently, but cant wait till christmas as my friends are getting back to India before Christmas. I am from India and you dont get such good deals here. The nikon D5000 price here is $750 approx with 18-55mm VR lens, whereas in US by paying $80-100 extra i get with 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR lens. Don't you think buying a refurb one is risky. I personally dont buy refurb one's.

I do think a refurb is risky. I got mine refurb from Adorama. I knew I had 30 days to return it so I took a chance. it had 550 shutter activations on it. About 500 more than I hoped but acceptable. I considered it about 2 or 3 pretty active days shooting. It also had a small scratch on the body. Not noticeable by most but I am very picky. I bumped it the first week and put another equal scratch. I have been happy that I got it for $520.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back