d5100 picture quality question

The entire image looks overexposed. You may have Exposure Compensation set incorrectly. See page 70 of your manual.

Thanks, checked and Exposure Compensation was set at "zero" , and I understand that is disconnected when in "auto" mode

Don't shoot at auto? Seriously, it's a waste of money otherwise.
Sparky, is it even possible to set exposure compensation in full auto mode on Nikon? As far as I know, it isn't possible on my Canon....

Thanks, according to my understanding Exposure Compensation is disengaged when shooting in "auto" mode.

Sparky, I know how EC works, I don't need an explanation... I just don't know if it's possible with Nikon, because it isn't with my Canon. When I select Full auto mode, I can't change EC at all. Understand? :)

when in the "Menu" and Mode Dial is set at " auto" , on the menu screen the EC is window is "blank / dead" and does not react to any input.

Tomasko said:
Sparky, I know how EC works, I don't need an explanation... I just don't know if it's possible with Nikon, because it isn't with my Canon. When I select Full auto mode, I can't change EC at all. Understand? :)

You can't change the EC when shooting full auto with the d5100

Tried to chang EC on the D5100 and its not possible,,, you are "locked out "

Auto correct didn't do a very good job. That grass looks positively radioactive; where was this taken, Chernobyl?!

What did you meter on? In other words, what was the focus point pointed at when you pressed the shutter half-way? I suspect it may have been on the black wall of the building which is why everything else is blown to oblivion.

Can you change the metering mode in Auto? If so, set it to "Matrix" (see your manual) which will give you a more even exposure.

Or, you could try putting it in "P" mode, which is similar to Auto, except you can control the exposure compensation.

Thanks, will have to try it out :- if possible to change to MATRIX in "auto" mode and try it in P

Did you by any chance have a filter on your lens?? Do ALL your pictures look like this or is this just a one time thing?

The problem might be the crystal clear daylight condition. There are a few spots (sky and white in front of building) that are completely blown out. Maybe (and I say maybe cus I am a noob) it is due to the sun. Direct sunlight isn't your friend! Shooting on auto will not always get you a correct exposure!

I recommend learning how to use manual, aperture, and shutter mode. Aperture and shutter are pretty easy to figure out. If you always use auto - then you basically bought a really expensive point and shoot camera. I'd also read the manual a few times since there are alot of different things that can affect your picture. The full manual (200+ pages) probably came on a CD with the D5100.

I have a UV filter on the lens, think I will have to "play " with different settings in the P mode

eek.gif

This thread is the 47th reason I never shoot in auto.

Now you tell me !, Thanks

Did you by any chance have a filter on your lens?? Do ALL your pictures look like this or is this just a one time thing?

The problem might be the crystal clear daylight condition. There are a few spots (sky and white in front of building) that are completely blown out. Maybe (and I say maybe cus I am a noob) it is due to the sun. Direct sunlight isn't your friend! Shooting on auto will not always get you a correct exposure!

I recommend learning how to use manual, aperture, and shutter mode. Aperture and shutter are pretty easy to figure out. If you always use auto - then you basically bought a really expensive point and shoot camera. I'd also read the manual a few times since there are alot of different things that can affect your picture. The full manual (200+ pages) probably came on a CD with the D5100.

I have a UV filter on the lens, think I will have to "play " with different settings in the P mode

Take the filter off and shoot some pictures on auto or P. The filter (if its inexpensive) is probably degrading your picture quality.

Is this problem consistent if you change lenses?

If so, then it's the camera. If it goes away using another lens, then it's the glass.

Most reactions

Back