D5100 recommended starter equipment/filters/lenses

shents

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, So I have my Nikon D5100, I haven't had time to use it as yet, it arrived yesterday, I was wondering what your thoughts are on good starter equipment, Also I must say I am going to China and need the best out of my camera I can, I want to be armed! I have also ordered a user guide to get the most out of my camera as the local photography class for beginners is full. Before my trip to China anyway. Bummer!

Go to filters, Ones that are a must!! and why those?

Tripod (I have read here that's important not to scrimp)

Most popular lenses (reasonably priced on a budget :)

Anything I will need that haven't mentioned due to inexperience

Thank you so much

I am fairly new to photography too and I've made a ton of purchasing mistakes. For starters I wouldn't even buy another lens until you get used to the camera and figure out what type of shooting you will be doing mostly. I bought 3 lens very shortly after I got my dslr and still to this day I use the kit lens almost all the time. Figure out what you like and take your time. Save up for a lens you really want and will fit your style.

Same goes for tripods, I'm on my 3rd one in a little over a year. Spend the extra couple bucks on a good tripod and head rather than buying one just to buy one. Again this also depends on how or what you plan on shooting. That too will probably change as you get more familiar.

The basics I would say to get would be a nice camera bag, extra batteries, a lens pen or other cleaning device and extra memory cards. That's really about it for stuff you should need at first. Spend any extra money on books or learning material until you get comfortable and can start making decisions based on what you shoot and what works best for you.

Most importantly have fun and learn as much as you can. We beginners are so fortunate to have these resources that can literally save us so much time and money. Hope some of this helps and enjoy !

Some books id recommend that Ive read:

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby

The Photographers Eye by Michael Freeman

Tons of podcasts as well are a great learning tool.

And don't forget the software for your computer. I use Lightroom but didn't start out with it but wish I did.

Last edited:
I am fairly new to photography too and I've made a ton of purchasing mistakes. For starters I wouldn't even buy another lens until you get used to the camera and figure out what type of shooting you will be doing mostly. I bought 3 lens very shortly after I got my dslr and still to this day I use the kit lens almost all the time. Figure out what you like and take your time. Save up for a lens you really want and will fit your style.

Same goes for tripods, I'm on my 3rd one in a little over a year. Spend the extra couple bucks on a good tripod and head rather than buying one just to buy one. Again this also depends on how or what you plan on shooting. That too will probably change as you get more familiar.

The basics I would say to get would be a nice camera bag, extra batteries, a lens pen or other cleaning device and extra memory cards. That's really about it for stuff you should need at first. Spend any extra money on books or learning material until you get comfortable and can start making decisions based on what you shoot and what works best for you.

Most importantly have fun and learn as much as you can. We beginners are so fortunate to have these resources that can literally save us so much time and money. Hope some of this helps and enjoy !

Thank you for taking the time to reply, It is sooo tempting to buy a new lense spesh with the christmas sales on, And I have no idea if kit lense does the job, I need a zoom lense for my holiday, But I am so uninformed on them but have no idea if the specs are ok,

Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro Lens - Jessops - Lenses

I was looking at this purely because I am on a budget

Also id like to know what filters are a must just in case I come across bad weather in china while photographing the great wall, panda's, big buddha leshan(amazing!)

And don't forget the software for your computer. I use Lightroom but didn't start out with it but wish I did.

Hey just seen the edited post on the books, Thank you so much, I have ordered a book on all the functions and easy guide on the d5100 but the books you have listed make total sense for my next purchase, I saw a thread just recently where the mentioned the scott kelby books, Thank you

I'll check out light house now, The camera also came with a dvd viewnx, which appears to be some sort of picture editing program I loaded it to look but haven't used it, Not sure its up to much

Tamron 70-300 not getting the best reviews..Best out there nikon 70-300 VR2-g About 400.00us from Canada..
35mm1.8 this lens is awsome. the best nikon for the money ever. I've seen pics with this lens that are outstanding

Man I wish I was going to China to see all that. Can't wait to see some pics.

As for filters you will get a lot of answers. I only use a polarized filter so I don't know much about the others but I will say that you can get filters at all price ranges and I wouldn't stick a $20 filter on a $500 lens. I shoot mostly for hdr and most filters can be applied post processing so I figure on the off chance I need one I can find out how to apply it afterwards. If any filter if get a decent NC filter just for added lens protectiom.

Tamron 70-300 not getting the best reviews..Best out there nikon 70-300 VR2-g About 400.00us from Canada..
35mm1.8 this lens is awsome. the best nikon for the money ever. I've seen pics with this lens that are outstanding

Yes I think i'll digg deeper in these lil pockets and pay for a better brand, ill goggle the 35mm now :) ..Thanks for reply old hippy hope you had a fab christmas

Thanks ill check that now, I am trying to get it all asap so I can practice using them before the trip in March, I am hoping someone drops out of the photography class so I can get in, I'll get on it after my trip if not

I had to copy and have this repeated in my post^^^^^^^
It's like were are the same person from almost start to finish I could echo the entire post.

Building off what was said above for me. I have found that the more you spend generally the better the quality. I remember thinking "who cares if it's a 3.5-5.6 f-stop. That doesn't mean anything. I can still take great photos with that lens" That thought is partially true. I can take good photos with that but I'm limited with the light that I have.

I would also say the same thing for a tripod. My first 2 were cheap quality and finally on number 3 I can tell you there is such an amazing difference.

The first two books mentioned are great great GREAT books. To add to that, if you have an ipad I would recommend that you buy them on the kindle app and additionally get the free PDF of your cameras manual. It's great because you can jump in and out of whatever book you are reading jump into the manual and see how to do something with your camera. Not dragging a bunch of books on the trip.
The Photographers Eye, I also own and for me that is a tough read. I'm still working to get through it. From what I have read from peoples review you will either like the book or not like the book.

Also as stated it really does come down to what you like to shoot. I would just say that if you think of this as an investment and you won't quit because you are bored of it, or are easily swayed from one hobby to the next, then spend your money on quality glass. It'll be worth it. I have a lot of glass that I shouldn't have bought and just waited to get the quality.

It's like were are the same person from almost start to finish I could echo the entire post.

Building off what was said above for me. I have found that the more you spend generally the better the quality. I remember thinking "who cares if it's a 3.5-5.6 f-stop. That doesn't mean anything. I can still take great photos with that lens" That thought is partially true. I can take good photos with that but I'm limited with the light that I have.

I would also say the same thing for a tripod. My first 2 were cheap quality and finally on number 3 I can tell you there is such an amazing difference.

The first two books mentioned are great great GREAT books. To add to that, if you have an ipad I would recommend that you buy them on the kindle app and additionally get the free PDF of your cameras manual. It's great because you can jump in and out of whatever book you are reading jump into the manual and see how to do something with your camera. Not dragging a bunch of books on the trip.
The Photographers Eye, I also own and for me that is a tough read. I'm still working to get through it. From what I have read from peoples review you will either like the book or not like the book.

Also as stated it really does come down to what you like to shoot. I would just say that if you think of this as an investment and you won't quit because you are bored of it, or are easily swayed from one hobby to the next, then spend your money on quality glass. It'll be worth it. I have a lot of glass that I shouldn't have bought and just waited to get the quality.

Thank you guys, I can not wait to start, you lot have been a great help, I love to travel aand will see a lot of scenery, travelling shots so I think a zoom is a must when I have more funds I think I would love to try a macro lense, but all the 3.5 -5.6 ..and all the numbers digits that go with lenses is all chinese to me at the moment so I am looking forward to understaning what all these damn numbers mean, My sdhc card arrives in next few days so I can start taking photo's on my kit lense and adjusting all these settings and getting an understanding on what the hellll they mean :)

I'll buy the 2 books you both mentioned first Thank you kindly you awsome lot

shefjr said:

Amen. Haha it does feel like I'm listening to myself talk as I read this. I just wish I had listened to everyone that has said this before. A lot if money I have spent(wasted) that could have gone so much farther but sometimes we gotta live and learn for ourselves. Great post

I am booking myself on a beginners course at the local art college tomorrow they have opened a second group, I can not wait!!! I shall spend my money on that first before I go rushing out, Thank you guys, So glad I posted this thread, Books

will be ordered tomorrow x

I am assuming that you got your D5100 with a 18-55 kit lens. In my opinion, you need a medium tele zoom and a better flash than the one that comes on the camera. For a medium tele zoom I would recommend the Nikon 55-200mm 4.5-5.6. Amazon.com: Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens: NIKON: Electronics They are inexpensive and are available just about everywhere. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $249.00. The nicest flash available for the D5100 is the Nikon SB700. Amazon.com: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo They are not cheap but they work perfectly with your camera. If you can't go the price of the SB700, the Yongnuo yn-565EX will do most of the same things with the exception of the (COMMANDER) function. Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon: Electronics You probably won't be needing that function for some time to come, but if you every want to shoot with multiple wireless, you'll need that function. (jmho)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am assuming that you got your D5100 with a 18-55 kit lens. In my opinion, you need a medium tele zoom and a better flash than the one that comes on the camera. For a medium tele zoom I would recommend the Nikon 55-200mm 4.5-5.6. Amazon.com: Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR [Vibration Reduction] Nikkor Zoom Lens: NIKON: Electronics They are inexpensive and are available just about everywhere. I bought mine at Wal-Mart for $249.00. The nicest flash available for the D5100 is the Nikon SB700. Amazon.com: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo They are not cheap but they work perfectly with your camera. If you can't go the price of the SB700, the Yongnuo yn-565EX will do most of the same things with the exception of the (COMMANDER) function. Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon: Electronics You probably won't be needing that function for some time to come, but if you every want to shoot with multiple wireless, you'll need that function. (jmho)

Thank you for adding to this thread, I did get the kit lense, I am going save all this info for when I fin my lil beginners course at the local college thank you so much, I was thinking a better flash later :). All of your advice has been a great help ... kelly

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back