D5100 recommended starter equipment/filters/lenses

shents said:
Hha Ok I nearly did exactly what I said I WOULDNT DO! haha, I'll save the csh , thanks buddy

Yeah it's hard to resist I know. When I get some time ill make you a small list of things you should get like cleaning tools or other gear not as glamorous as a new lens. But you are better than I , my impulse woulda kicked in and I woulda bought it haha.

shents said:
Hha Ok I nearly did exactly what I said I WOULDNT DO! haha, I'll save the csh , thanks buddy

Yeah it's hard to resist I know. When I get some time ill make you a small list of things you should get like cleaning tools or other gear not as glamorous as a new lens. But you are better than I , my impulse woulda kicked in and I woulda bought it haha.

Thanks jay

I'm with Willyboy. Def need to buy a UV filter, size 52mm for your 18-55. You should google, used camera stores, and maybe you can find good deals. I purchased a yellow #8, red #25, and circular polarizer for $20. If you can, get the circular polarizer along with the UV if you can afford to, then later on get a neutral density filter. For a bag I'd suggest a backpack, not a shoulder bag. It's a pain trying to walk around with a should bag.

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories-Black: Camera & Photo

I purchased this bag, and I love it! So much room, you can almost fit two kits and a tripod. It's basically the same bag as the Canon Deluxe pack, but without the pricey tag on it.

If you can, I'd suggest buying Nikon branded lens if you can.

Digital cameras don't have issues with UV like Film Cameras did.. why would she need a UV filter? If it is for lens protection, just keep the lens cap on when not using the camera! Unless you buy a top end, expensive multi coated filter, all it will do is lower Image Quality!

For lenses.. the 70-300 VR II would be your best bet for a long tele... unless you have a lot of money to spend (buy it used).

the 35mm DX is ok for wide shots, as long as you don't use it for close portraiture (barrel distortion)... and as long as you know how to deal with the terrible CA in post. (again.. buy it used)

Filters... already suggested... a good CPL (not a cheap one)... and maybe an 2x or 4x GND filter in case you find some nice sunsets or sunrises (and want to keep some foreground detail). A 2x or 4x ND filter can be handy in really bright conditions also.

Hey matey thanks for response, I saw a 55 - 200 nikon vr lense in a pawn shop today for £89 bucks.. I cant afford the 300 should I sap this up, as I want to shoot scenery Il'll need a zoom anyway ??

That's a pretty good deal, but I would save your $ for something later on when you really know what it is you'll need. Your 18-55 should be fine for what you'll be shooting..And no, the D5100 doesn't have the focus motor in the body; you'll need the AF-S G lens, as shefjr said, if you want auto focus. If you get the older "D" type lens, which are a bit cheaper, you'll have to focus manually which isn't a bad thing...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the D5100 and it's a work horse. Great image quality (same chip as the d7000). It's capable of some really really great raw images (esp in low light).. I'm probably out growing it (saving for a D600) but it's a great camera.

I'd recommend a battery grip for it, the body is too small in my taste so the grip gives it a bit more to hold on to. Good luck!

I have the D5100 and it's a work horse. Great image quality (same chip as the d7000). It's capable of some really really great raw images (esp in low light).. I'm probably out growing it (saving for a D600) but it's a great camera.

I'd recommend a battery grip for it, the body is too small in my taste so the grip gives it a bit more to hold on to. Good luck!

Thank you so much, I start a beginners course jan so hopefully will learn basic's then :), I haven't had chance to use camera yet waiting on my sdhc card, Thanks for advice on grip

shefjr said:
I had to copy and have this repeated in my post^^^^^^^
It's like were are the same person from almost start to finish I could echo the entire post.

Building off what was said above for me. I have found that the more you spend generally the better the quality. I remember thinking "who cares if it's a 3.5-5.6 f-stop. That doesn't mean anything. I can still take great photos with that lens" That thought is partially true. I can take good photos with that but I'm limited with the light that I have.

I would also say the same thing for a tripod. My first 2 were cheap quality and finally on number 3 I can tell you there is such an amazing difference.

The first two books mentioned are great great GREAT books. To add to that, if you have an ipad I would recommend that you buy them on the kindle app and additionally get the free PDF of your cameras manual. It's great because you can jump in and out of whatever book you are reading jump into the manual and see how to do something with your camera. Not dragging a bunch of books on the trip.
The Photographers Eye, I also own and for me that is a tough read. I'm still working to get through it. From what I have read from peoples review you will either like the book or not like the book.

Also as stated it really does come down to what you like to shoot. I would just say that if you think of this as an investment and you won't quit because you are bored of it, or are easily swayed from one hobby to the next, then spend your money on quality glass. It'll be worth it. I have a lot of glass that I shouldn't have bought and just waited to get the quality.

Amen. Haha it does feel like I'm listening to myself talk as I read this. I just wish I had listened to everyone that has said this before. A lot if money I have spent(wasted) that could have gone so much farther but sometimes we gotta live and learn for ourselves. Great post

shents said:

Good you are being patient...it will pay off later.

Hey you talented bunch...

There is a lock on the side of my sdhc card do I switch it on or will it prevent me from doing anything other then deleting images. Silly question but don't want to risk locking it yet

My current D5100 equipment:
D5100 - would have chosen D7000 today, oh well, D5100 has less weight + flipscreen
18-55mm kit lens for macro and decent wide angle (both rare)
35mm f1.8 DX that pretty much stays on camera 80% of the time
55-200mm for portrait at 55 f/4, or for range if needed
SB400 flash - today I would choose SB600 instead, oh well
Remote
Extra Battery
3x highest quality 16GB memorycards I could find
B+W 3 stop ND Filter 52mm
B+W Polarization Filter 52mm - Hoya is better but extremely hard to get.

Things I absolutely miss:
HSS

Things I would like to have:
Maybe more AF points, but with good distribution (not like the D600 which has them all in the freaking center)
Second Memorycard slot for backup
Weather Sealing
Better controls (second command dial etc)
Working Quiet Shutter Mode
Better lens selection

Or in other words, I want a D600 with a good distribution of AF points and a flipscreen

D5100 - would have chosen D7000 today, oh well, D5100 has less weight + flipscreen
Remote
Extra Battery

HSS

Maybe more AF points, but with good distribution (not like the D600 which has them all in the freaking center)
Weather Sealing
Better lens selection

Or in other words, I want a D600 with a good distribution of AF points and a flipscreen

Thanks so much for sharing I have just taken my first photo just point and shoot really nothing spesh or technical, I have no idea yet, Have you clicked the lock on the sdhc card , sorry I am unsure

Remote
Extra Battery

HSS

Weather Sealing
Better lens selection

Thanks so much for sharing I have just taken my first photo just point and shoot really nothing spesh or technical, I have no idea yet, Have you clicked the lock on the sdhc card , sorry I am unsure

The lock just keeps you from doing any write options on the card. You won't be able to take pictures, access pictures on the card, etc.

SOOOO guys card is in I have taken 3 shots here is 2 of them, No thrills, no idea on settings YET!. Scott Kelby book arrived today so will have a play over the weekend

UPLOADED THROUGH FACEBOOK AS FILE WAS TO BIG HERE

Introducing Mr Cheeks
(my first model)

$736997_10152356490320316_540584819_o.jpg$737400_10152356489895316_1779084370_o.jpg

SOOOO gys card is in I have taken 3 shots here is 2 of them, No thrills, no idea on settings YET!. Scott Kelby book arrived today so will have a play over the weekend

UPLOADED THROUGH FACEBOOK AS FILE WAS TO BIG HERE

Introducing Mr Cheeks
(my first model)

View attachment 31193
View attachment 31194

Mr Cheeks is a cool lookin cat.. Outside of them just being point and shoot you do have a creative element in them so they are not just run of the mill snapshots. Good start

Remote
Extra Battery

HSS

Weather Sealing
Better lens selection

Hey guys..

I have been looking at this is it any good for what I want? any other links cheaper options , want a good quality one..
feedback would be much appreciated, also graduated filters?? I am guessing these will be a must for the landscapes in china ..thanks youu .. kelly

Hoya High Definition Filter UV (O) 52mm (Brand New) + Free Shipping | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back