D5600 apparently finally released in the US

The odd part is the D5600 has supposedly been available every where else except the US for quite some time.

I was looking at the d5500 a short time ago and kept finding comparisons of the d5500 with the d5600, which wasn't available in the US. LOL

I still plan on getting a d5x00 some time as a Full Spectrum setup.

Weird yeah we have had it for months in NZ. The body's very different. Much nicer to hold. (For an entry level camera)

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

KmH said:
It looks like the only thing new about the D5600 is it has Bluetooth.

Bluetooth built-in, and not on that infernal, external dongle. Bluetooth has become easy to use now, and for some people, it is important for wireless, speedy, In-The-Field transfer to social media or other web servers, like small-town papers on deadline, or SHARING photos with people who are NOT "at the party" or "not at the football game"...or for hyping events as they occur, and not 2,3,4,5 hours later. Also...Nikon has over the last few models, been subtly changing the body/grip dimensions, which is kind of a big deal on such small bodies.

Nikon has as the reviewers said, made the grip feel "better", or "bigger", or "more grippable" on the newest baby Nikon bodies. This is pretty important to casual buyers who are buying at retail, at least in my over-the-counter salesman experience: people with no allegiance to a brand or model will often buy a camera based "on feel", as much as on price.

This is a camera for the novice or intermediate shooter--not the 30-year Nikonophile.

I was discussing with a longtime TPF'er why he likes Canon. His answer? He said he," Likes the FEEL of the grip on a Canon." .They have that "chunky grip", to use his words. I suspect Nikon knows--exactly-- what the competitor is for the 5600, which has been out in other markets for a bit already. Similarly, Canon re-jiggered the 5D Mark III grip to feel a LOT like high-end Nikons feel, some years back.

The ergonomics of the camera last the life of the camera, but the goal really is to SELL them to actual people. Anything the maker can do to differentiate the camera from an earlier model, or another model, or a competitor's camera, can be a sales-inducer. Yes, people can get used to ANYTHING...a leaky roof, a bad grip, a slippery grip, effed up ergonomics, whatever. But the market's gotten tighter. More needs to be tweaked. They've evolved the base camera a LOT since the 5000, so now all that's left is minor improvements, and smller features. But built-in Near Field Communication and Bluetooth is a big step for a conservative company like Nikon' they KNOW they NEED to move the camera closer to the "Ultimate Modern Tool", which is The Smartphone.

Most reactions

Back