D60 or 300d, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by fadingaway1986, Jan 26, 2005.

1. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Guys, I need your help fast... there is a D60 Body only on ebay for $750(Australian)... it ends tomorrow... and has no bids... there is also a 300d with kit lens for somewhere around $800... and has 3 bids...and still a few days to go...

I can't afford the 300d anyway - but I would be able to just squeeze enough money up to afford the D60... But... I wanna make sure its an okay camera, and make sure no one has had any problems with them?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3869086019&rd=1 - D60

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=3869797854&rd=1 - 300D

(note... I don't need a lense either - as I have a EOS 3000N film slr...)

Thanks for your help guys!

2. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

the D60 is a great camera- the 300D will have its advantages like faster AF because it is a newer camera. for $750 i would say it is worth it.
    www.dpreview.com has a great in depth review.

3. walter23

walter23 TPF Noob!

I'm not 100% sure of the D60 specifically, but older sensors had some rather terrible thermal blooming characteristics - with longer exposures they would pick up heat from the electronics and give these nasty looking purple or red blooms, usually in the same spots, covering a lot of the frame. This was only a problem on long exposures (10 seconds or more I guess), but is much less of a problem on newer sensors like in the 300D / digital rebel. I'm not sure I have the terminology correct, but you should get the idea.

Again I'm not sure about the D60 specifically but it's something to think about or research a bit before you buy. I've seen some really nice results from the D60 though, so take my half-baked warnings with a grain of salt.

4. fadingaway1986

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys

unfortunately, I have just realised that the money i had saved up (which is my camera money) is going to have to go towards my car insurance - as my mum is pressuring me to get my licence...

Unfortunately, as my insurance is in mum's name (cause she is legally driving when I am at the wheel), when I get my licence, the insurance has to go into my name - and I therefore have to pay the extra for my age... (which is something like $900)... stupid insurance...

Thanks for your help all the same - I might be able to use this info in the future...

5. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't you get added to your mums insurance policy? I don't know about things like this in australia, but for me it was cheaper to be added to my mums insurance policy until i'm 25 (only three years to go) because at 25 the premium drops massively. The only hitch to this is when you come from your parents policy at 25 you have no no-claims bonus because it's a new policy.

6. santino

santino TPF Noob!

I would def. go for the D60, it's an older (but pro) cam with a carbon body.
    Differences: 3 AF points instead of 7, ISO 1000 instead of 1600.

7. fadingaway1986

Photos OK to edit
    the person that the insurance is put under has to be the main driver of the car.. and since when I get my licence - that will be me - because there will be no need for them to be driving my car... it sucks... but theres not a lot I can do... (apart from not get my licence - which I don't have a problem with... but mum claims she wants her independence... hmph)

8. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmm strange I'm the main driver on my car and yet i'm still insured on my mothers policy.. ah well..

9. fadingaway1986

Photos OK to edit
    hmmm... i dunno... thats what mum told me... we are considering just getting rid of the insurance until i turn 25 or whatever... (that is, after i pay the car off)

10. Nytmair

Nytmair TPF Noob!

same with me, i'm under my dad's insurance with my car, and I'm the primary driver. definitely saved some money that way.

Also, you can get a brand new rebel now for around 800 with the kit lens. I know amazon.com had it for $799 after a canon rebate.

11. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The only problem that I recall hear about the D60 was the shutter delay. Should be fine for still lifes and landscapes

12. fadingaway1986

Photos OK to edit

But that would be US dollars, right?

799 USD = 1027.78 AUD

Is your car registered in your name or your dad's?

Mine is registered in my name, because my loan is in my name... I'll try and see if I can get put under mum's... But I think she already asked them and they said only until I get my licence.