D60 or D3000..new D-SLR user confused...

Bresine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, sorry if this is a re-post of a common question. Im planning on buying my first D-SLR within days. Ive done about 2 months of reviewing different D-SLR's. My choice will be between the D60-or the D3000. Im a bit confused however on the major differences. Ive compared the spec sheets between the two models and I see no major differences other than the 3inch LCD display on the D3000. Can anyone please help me make a good purchase?...I like to shoot all kinds of photography.

side note: one thing i read on the spec sheet for the D3000 is "no Black and White Optimize Image options"....does this indicate the D3000 does not have a BW photo option?

apologize for my lack of knowledge, just getting started. Thanks for any advice!!

The main difference is 11 point autofocus (D3000) vs 3 point autofocus (D60).

I've used a D40 and D60 but not the D3000. I'd base it on cost myself... I personally use the center focus point 90% of the time so it doesn't really matter to me how many I have (I have a D90 with 11).

The D3000 has an easy to understand menu system.

I guess if it came down to a $50 difference I'd pick the D3000.

The 11-point Autofocus with Focus Tracking makes the choice between the D3000 and the D60 an easy choice--go for the camera with the more sophisticated autofocusing system. The D60 is going to be EOL'd very soon,and there's always a benefit to buying a new model instead of one approaching the end of its life.

My biggest issue with my D60 is ISO performance over 400. I'd look into how the 3000 performs at ISO 800 and above.

My biggest issue with my D60 is ISO performance over 400. I'd look into how the 3000 performs at ISO 800 and above.

Should be the same (same sensor).

That said, I was always happy with my D60 even at 800 ISO.

As far as the B&W thing goes, you can always convert to that after the shot is taken in post processing using even basic free software such as Google's Picasa.

Should be the same (same sensor).

That said, I was always happy with my D60 even at 800 ISO.

As far as the B&W thing goes, you can always convert to that after the shot is taken in post processing using even basic free software such as Google's Picasa.
+1 ^^^^^^

The High ISO NR menu selection works great.

I do all my B&W conversions in Photoshop.

You can edit in camera to B&W and it works quite well....

The D3000 looses the eye sensor and the accelerometer that the D60 has. If the price difference is 50$ then its a no brainier-the choice would be D3000, other wise if the difference is like 150$(as i have seen online)-then the decision becomes a bit murkier.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the feedback! I went ahead and purchased a Nikon D3000 last night...I just couldn't hold out any longer!

So far I can't put it down! Its an awesome D-SLR...and much to my surprise very user friendly for a first time user. It's GUIDE option on the unusually large toggle wheel is a useful tool for a new user. I had the chance to use the D60 for about a week and Im more impressed overall with the D3000. ....and the 3inch LCD screen aint too shabby either!

Thanks for helping guys, will update some pics once I get snappin..

oh and if anyone was curious just for kicks...

I paid $599 total for the D3000. The D60 was on sale for $549.99...so I went for the D3000 as recommended.

many thanks

Congratulations on your purchase - hope you enjoy shooting :)

You can edit in camera to B&W and it works quite well....

Ummmm, no. When you do the conversion in-camera you lose all control over how the conversion is done. By doing it in Photoshop you can control which colors contribute to the darker parts of a B&W image and which colors contribute to the lighter parts - i.e. in Photoshop, you can decide if your blue sky will become a dark, foreboding sky that dominates the image and contrasts highly with clouds, or if it becomes lighter so that the image can focus on something else in the photo (i.e. portrait subject).

Which is to say, the "quality" of the in-camera result may be fine (i.e. no blurriness incurred by the option), but you might as well have a robot make your creative decisions for you.

Hey congrats on your new "baby". I always like to see people getting new gear, takes me back! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back