D600 - Entry level FX

I finally have enough for a d800... I am just wondering if I should wait till the d600 comes out or try and place an order for a d800. Either way looks like I probably won't get a new camera till the end of the summer. Not cause I don't have the funds but because no one will ship me one :(

zamanakhan said:
I finally have enough for a d800... I am just wondering if I should wait till the d600 comes out or try and place an order for a d800. Either way looks like I probably won't get a new camera till the end of the summer. Not cause I don't have the funds but because no one will ship me one :(

Hey Zamanakhan,

FWIW, 1) I'd go d800. I'm looking at new bodies as well and have come to the conclusion that, yes, the d600 might look good on a budget, but the d800 is what I REALLY want :). If you have the cash... Do it and don't think twice ;). Also order ASAP so the wait is minimized.

2) re: lenses. When I got started I knew NOTHING. I ended up with a few great DX lenses on my d7000 and love the pictures they take. BUT, I've quickly grown into FX. And I find myself needing to trade/sell those lenses to facilitate the new body. If I were to do it again I'd ALWAYS have bought FX glass so I'd be good for any body Nikon throws at me. Yes it's more of an expense, but if you know you're going FX don't even hesitate one iota to buy FX glass to use on DX while you wait!

My 2 cents :)

Lem

I saw the D600 rumors and got super excited. But then I really thought about it and realized I wanted a real pro built body. I searched around and found a D700 with 3200 clicks and couldn't be happier! I have my D7000 as my backup now too!

I am interested to see what Nikon does in the future with their new bodies tho!

I'd like a true d700 replacement
Why? The D700 kicks but.

In 1982 I started with a used hand-me-down film camera, a Minolta SR-T 101, Minolta quit making that model in 1976, and I used it for 20 more years.

Today camera makers have tons of people convinced that if their digital camera is more than 24 months old, it's obsolete and should be trashed and replaced with the latest and greatest. :lol:

The rumors about an entry level FF body from Canon or Nikon have been in the webs since 2006 at least what I can remember. Funny how only now they are actually going to do it, when their other cameras go neck to neck.

KmH said:
Why? The D700 kicks but.

In 1982 I started with a used hand-me-down film camera, a Minolta SR-T 101, Minolta quit making that model in 1976, and I used it for 20 more years.

Today camera makers have tons of people convinced that if their digital camera is more than 24 months old, it's obsolete and should be trashed and replaced with the latest and greatest. :lol:

True. Although digital cameras get better in terms of ISO, noise, dynamic range, etc. With film cameras the noise and ISO come down to the film and not the camera.

UPDATE! :D :

New/updated Nikon D600 specifications | Nikon Rumors

New/updated Nikon D600 specifications:

• 24.7MP full frame sensor
  • Weight: 760g (850g with battery and memory cards), the D800 weights 900g
  • 3.2" LCD with 921K dot with ambient sensor control
  • HDMI output
  • Video compression: H264/MPEG-4
  • Full HD with 30p, 25p, 24p, HD with 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p
  • Viewfinder coverage: 100% for FX , 97% for Dx
  • The Nikon D600 will have built-in AF motor
  • The body most probably will be weather sealed
  • The D600 may not have built-in GPS as initially reported
  • ISO range: 100-6400 (with Lo-1 ISO 50 and Hi-2 ISO 25,600)
  • 39 AF points (with an option of 11 AF points), 9 cross-type AF points
  • AF face detection
  • Exposure compensation: ±5 EV (same as the D800)
  • The D600 will probably use the EN-EL15 rechargeable Li-ion battery

StandingBear1983 said:

[*]24.7MP full frame sensor
[*]Weight: 760g (850g with battery and memory cards), the D800 weights 900g
[*]3.2" LCD with 921K dot with ambient sensor control
[*]HDMI output
[*]Video compression: H264/MPEG-4
[*]Full HD with 30p, 25p, 24p, HD with 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p
[*]Viewfinder coverage: 100% for FX , 97% for Dx
[*]The Nikon D600 will have built-in AF motor
[*]The body most probably will be weather sealed
[*]The D600 may not have built-in GPS as initially reported
[*]ISO range: 100-6400 (with Lo-1 ISO 50 and Hi-2 ISO 25,600)
[*]39 AF points (with an option of 11 AF points), 9 cross-type AF points
[*]AF face detection
[*]Exposure compensation: ±5 EV (same as the D800)
[*]The D600 will probably use the EN-EL15 rechargeable Li-ion battery

:D

• 24.7MP full frame sensor
  • Weight: 760g (850g with battery and memory cards), the D800 weights 900g
  • 3.2" LCD with 921K dot with ambient sensor control
  • HDMI output
  • Video compression: H264/MPEG-4
  • Full HD with 30p, 25p, 24p, HD with 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p
  • Viewfinder coverage: 100% for FX , 97% for Dx
  • The Nikon D600 will have built-in AF motor
  • The body most probably will be weather sealed
  • The D600 may not have built-in GPS as initially reported
  • ISO range: 100-6400 (with Lo-1 ISO 50 and Hi-2 ISO 25,600)
  • 39 AF points (with an option of 11 AF points), 9 cross-type AF points
  • AF face detection
  • Exposure compensation: ±5 EV (same as the D800)
  • The D600 will probably use the EN-EL15 rechargeable Li-ion battery

Great specs! But with these sort of specs I can't see this camera being as cheap as some are saying it is going to be, I think it will match the current D700 price here in the UK which is in not cheap at all. The supply and demand problems will continue to keep prices high aswell. I think perhaps I will look again at the D700 again when this camera is released. as the D700 is bound to go down quite a bit when it gets a true replacement.

If this is the actual D700 replacement I was hoping for when the D800 came out, I'll likely grab it. It's a little weird going from pre-ordering a D4... to thinking "Ok, I guess I'll get the D800 instead" and now "Oh... hm... D600 may work...", but I guess that means I'll have about $4,000 left in my bank account to play with. Not a bad thing.

If this is the actual D700 replacement I was hoping for when the D800 came out, I'll likely grab it. It's a little weird going from pre-ordering a D4... to thinking "Ok, I guess I'll get the D800 instead" and now "Oh... hm... D600 may work...", but I guess that means I'll have about $4,000 left in my bank account to play with. Not a bad thing.
It might not be a true replacement, if it is a true replacement obviously it will cost the same as the d800. This camera as well sounds very very tempting, i too have a feeling it will not be too much cheaper than the d800. I am starting to hope that it is in the same class as the d800 in terms of build quality and weather sealing, also one of the card slots to be cf. if it is a bit cheaper than that is a huge plus, if not than so be it. Just makes my decision for getting a d800 vs d600 that much harder.

Maybe they found someway to lower prices..(child workers in china\thiland), i don't want to say it, but hell, thats whats going on with many other companies these days...i mean, if they make it only slightly cheaper then the D800, it makes no sense to do another product financialy...

I am very close to pulling back the deposit on my d800, and waiting for the d600. The d600 means full trinity and camera where as the d800 means 2/3 of the trinity for me. Or the entire 1.8g prime lineup and a 14-24 along with d600. D800 means 14-24, 50 1.8 and 80-200. There are just so many more options with the extra $1000, I loved my d7000 and it looks like Nikon fixed the one problem I had with it, mode dial accidentally being knocked out, and having the benifit of being Fx. This IS the perfect body for me.
So wait another 2 weeks and get my d800 or.... Wait months upon months for a d600 and play with a d70 till then?

Most reactions

Back