D600 shutter oil spot question

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my D600 back from Nikon in the Spring for a clean/adjust of the infamous shutter mechanism.

Attached are a couple of test images taken today after about 2000 additional actuations. Any chance this is anything other than the dreaded oil slapping?

If it is the shutter, do they automatically replace the shutter on the second time around or do I need to make a fuss to get it done?
spots.jpg
spots2.jpg

wait... just 2 months ago you sent it in for oil spots and they DIDNT replace the shutter? That's the default service fix for oil spots, they know that cleaning is not the solution and have a legit fix. I'd be pissed if all they did was clean the sensor -- that's a complete waste of time.

I'd be talking to a manager and just getting my new D610 at this point.

did you not submit this as a service advisory claim?

Yes, it was sent in under the service advisory.

I just called and was told the protocol is as follows:

1) inspect and try cleaning if it looks like there's hope it might work;
2) replace shutter if the cleaning didn't work;
3) replace camera if replacing shutter didn't work.

I've got my new mailing label printed and I'll be re-submitting with a stern letter suggesting that I at LEAST expect a new shutter at this point.

oh that's bs, they know damn right a cleaning wont work!

Sounds like they where hoping to get away with the cleaning and hope you wouldn't complain or send it back a second time.What a waist of everyones time especially you the consumer.

Might want to blow the sensor off with a bulb blower before you send it in, just to, you know, see if those happen to be dust spots and not oil.

looks like they changed their policy a bit. It was probably getting kinda expensive with all the new D610s going out the door.

Over a year ago I had a shutter replacement.
Recently My d600 got broken and had spots.
after I submitted a photo with spots I never heard back, except they billed me to repair the mount. More shooting and hopefully more spots.

I was contemplating just not getting it fixed but they charged me without notifying me of the final cost. Bought a d750 while waiting. Then the decision was made for me. Now I'm a "pro" with a backup camera.

I don't think so...they replaced the shutter in mine last month -- or at least that's what the repair invoice said.

My shutter count didn't go back to zero on my EXIF data sets, so I presumed that they didn't replace, but to be sure I went and dug up my packing slip from June and it appears they DID replace the shutter! Surprised the shutter count wasn't reset to zero....
Doc Aug 02.jpg

My shutter count didn't go back to zero on my EXIF data sets, so I presumed that they didn't replace, but to be sure I went and dug up my packing slip from June and it appears they DID replace the shutter! Surprised the shutter count wasn't reset to zero....View attachment 125502

I had the same with my D600.

They replaced the shutter but not the shutter count.

Seems strange that they wouldn't reset it :S

"RPL SHUTTER MECHANISM"
==> looks like they did replace the shutter.

The shutter count is not part of the shutter
but part of the main motherboard
you would hope that they would reset it but they don't.
mine wasn't reset either.

okay perfect, dont send it back without first getting authorization for your D610 replacement.

follow the steps in the service advisory.

Nikon trying to merely 'clean' the oily sensor. I'm pushing back hard on this.
I'll keep you posted.

I mean it says this right here:

In the event that after this customer service measure has been performed, dust particle spots are still visible in your images, please contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at the number indicated below to discuss your concern. If appropriate, Nikon will either replace your camera with a new D600 camera or its equivalent model.

I called Nikon CR when this happened to me. I had to send them an image that proved my D600 with a replaced shutter was still spitting oil, and then once I did, they approved my replacement.

A replaced shutter + oil gunslinger = appropriate for a replacement.

I mean it says this right here:

In the event that after this customer service measure has been performed, dust particle spots are still visible in your images, please contact Nikon Customer Relations by phone at the number indicated below to discuss your concern. If appropriate, Nikon will either replace your camera with a new D600 camera or its equivalent model.

I called Nikon CR when this happened to me. I had to send them an image that proved my D600 with a replaced shutter was still spitting oil, and then once I did, they approved my replacement.

A replaced shutter + oil gunslinger = appropriate for a replacement.

Just once? Or is the third time the charm?

Most reactions

Back