D600 shutter oil spot question

The 20/f=1.8G is a great lens. Because I already own the 24/f=1.4G I could resist that one.

Compositionally I feel I am still on a steep learning curve for wide angle. I am quite good in 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and equirectangular scenes.

Have been practicing the 135mm long ago (in film days one of my favourites!).

24mm ist still very wide for me, feel more comfortable with the lens in crop mode on the D500.

300mm (cropped and uncropped) is new to me but much easier. I feel, to cut a very small slice from the reality cake is easier than to combine all the conflicting elements into one composition at the wide end.

I sold my D600 and my Nikon 20mm 1.8G. Put $1400.00 back in my bank and made my bag lighter.
G.A.S. was cutting into my pockets. Ha!!!
Didn't sell your old and rusty d800 instead?

i agree that the D600 has inconsistent auto wb issues, but this is worse than any of my experiences.
what was the pic before this one; was it outside?
AUTO WHITE BALANCE IN MIXED LIGHT (D600)
View attachment 130095

As far as I understand it Auto White balance is calculated from the CURRENT scene. It was terrible mixed light incadescent setting sun converter Bulbs reflected light from wooden walls. The D600 might be able to handle this halfways if you create a measured PREset for the very scene. But. The D5 and D500 can handle it out of the box.

PS. No. The shots before that shot were taken inside in changing bad light

Last edited:
There was a WB fix when they re-released it as the D610. I shoot RAW so never really noticed a problem...

I shoot RAW. But the mess you see here results in extra bad statistics for the blue channel so you will see extra ugly noise. The D500 files are already 96% where I want them so the leverage is huge

The d600 also had a firmware patch to fix whitebalance/color issues.

PS: In California I switched off the JPEG from JPEG + RAW, because I was running out of card space. The D600 JPEGs are very very nice, I am not so happy with the D500 JPEGs, have possibly not found the best in camera settings yet. I loved it that I could set my D70 cameras from Capture Camera Control 4.x and chasnge them very significantly.

So currently I spend more time on the computer, developing RAWs. Time that I take although I do not have it.

I still do the bracketing, because I like to have the choice of starting point for my edit, because I see that my unstabilized setup tends to have one sharpest in every three and because sometimes slight camera movement between the shots or movement of people in the BG can make all the difference, also in portraits I see slight expression changes I can capture and in mixed light situations WB can change due to light changs. On frame can be on the oprange side, one on the green, one more neutral or slightly blueish, which is the easiest to correct.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back