D610 or D750

gr8five

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im having a hard time making a choice between the two. I realize the 750 is the newer and has some upgrades compared to the 610 but wondering if it's worth the $500 difference. I shoot landscape mostly. If I was to set them up with the same lens and take the same shot would I see a difference? I'm hoping someone has done this already. I think I know the answer but looking for outside help. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I imagine you would be very hard up to pick out which camera took which picture. Both are 24mp full frame Nikons.

If image quality is your top priority and will be shooting mostly landscapes, I'd go with the D610. If you were doing events with moving subjects or videos the D750 would be well worth the extra money.

The only area I think you'll see much improvement is in low light/high ISO. I have a 750 but have also used my buddies d610, both are amazing cameras with the 750 being slightly better with noise and shadow detail at high ISO

Unless you plan on going above 6400ISO or do sports/wildlife then in most cases there will be very small differences if at all.
Is the D750 worth the extra 500$ ?
Personal preference, for me it was but I do mostly general photography and the D750 is more flexible, I have a feeling for you the D610 might be just as good.

Both have the same sensor, so not much difference there. However, the D750 has a much better autofocus system, silly flip out screen and better video mode (D610 video is still good, come its full frame!). So if you are going to be shooting stuff that moves a lot or also plan on making videos, then I think the D750 is a good choice.

For everything else, I think the D610 is an amazing camera..I have one and absolutely enjoy shooting with it. I really don't know what else to say, feel like I've talked about this already haha.

I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago - I shoot still life and set up shots mostly. The 750 has Wifi built in (not important to me), a tilt screen (My Oly has this and I really like it, but I tried it out in the store and found it hard to move and not much tilt - it does not flip out), and a faster continuous shooting rate (good for sports but not what I shoot). Pretty much the same camera as the 610 after that, so I got a factory refurb 610 for under $1K. Love it!

If I were buying new today, I'd go with a D750 over the D610
If I were buying used today, I'd go with a D600 over a D750.

If you can afford the 750 I would go for it....I have the D610 and it's a great camera but a few people I work with purchased the 750 and it's outstanding...as said many times on here it depends on what your needs are, what style of photography you shoot etc.....I think the strongest feature of the 750 compared to the 610 is the autofocus system and having more cross-type focus points...I personally have not noticed problems focusing in low light with the D610 or had trouble getting a shot with the autofocus system but I still love the D750 autofocus system, when I get a chance to shoot with a friends camera :) D610 & D750 are both great bodies.

Check out the great used prices on D600's.... could save you a ton.....
Check adorama or keh.

The difference between the two isn't image quality. The most tangible difference is the focus system. If you shoot moving objects in low light, go with the D750 and don't think twice, the autofocus on the D750 is substantially better. But for landscapes, there really isn't much of a difference, with landscape, 95% of the time you're manual focusing at infinity using f/8 and a tripod anyway, so autofocus is completely irrelevant. Landscape you mostly care about dynamic range and total resolution. They're pretty much exactly equals there.

The difference between the two isn't image quality. The most tangible difference is the focus system. If you shoot moving objects in low light, go with the D750 and don't think twice, the autofocus on the D750 is substantially better. But for landscapes, there really isn't much of a difference, with landscape, 95% of the time you're manual focusing at infinity using f/8 and a tripod anyway, so autofocus is completely irrelevant. Landscape you mostly care about dynamic range and total resolution. They're pretty much exactly equals there.
100% agree, I think for landscape it will be much better to get the D610 and invest in the best glass possible, for landscaping both cameras should give you same results, glass and skills will be what determine the results on these 2 fantastic cameras.

The D610 is a bit of a stupid camera, really. You can get a D600 instead and its basically the same camera, just a lot cheaper and if there are any problems with sensor dust, Nikon will fix them anyway.

I realize the 750 is the newer and has some upgrades compared to the 610 but wondering if it's worth the $500 difference.
Yes.

The D750 has a sh***load of improvements that should have been in the D600 already.

The D600 for example has a disappointing autofocus. The D750 has the best autofocus you can get from Nikon right now.

The D750 has a flipscreen, uber useful for video, macro, or simply shooting from the hip.

The D750 can show you the focus point in 100% magnification in a single click ... that alone is extremely valueable (and I'm angry at Nikon that they dont offer an upgrade for the D600/D610 so they can have that too).

The D750 is also smaller, more lightweight, has a better grip, builtin WiFi, ... etc etc etc.

I still have my D600 and I'll probably wait for the next generation, but if I would get a new camera - the D750 is a nobrainer.

And its not 500$ difference ... its a ~20% difference. If you buy a camera for 20$ or one for 520$ is a HUGE difference. If you buy a camera for 20000$ or one for 20500$ is not. Thus its in percent, not in absolute money.

If I was to set them up with the same lens and take the same shot would I see a difference?
Probably, since its a different sensor with a different postprocessing. However, you wont see great jumps in image quality, which is more likely your question. Both cameras have a state of the art 24 Megapixel sensors. The details will be slightly different. For example the D750 has the weaker Anti-Aliasing Filter, so you will see a tiny bit more sharpness if you magnify to 100% on a computer screen, assuming you used a really good lens in the optimal way (no blurr from shaking, no blurr from subject movement, no blurr from lens brutally stopped down, etc), but that should be all.

I'm hoping someone has done this already.
I have thought about it, in fact I'm still thinking about it, but I think the difference between the two cameras is too small for me to justify spending a full 2k€ again.

But as I said - if I would get a new camera, I would definitely get the D750.

P.s.: I should maybe also mention the two problems I have with the D750, the reasons I decided to not get one in the end:
- Despite using the same AF sensor is still not as wide as for the D810 and D4s
- The shutter is louder than the shutter of the D600/D610
Both things are caused by the fact Nikon shrinked the D750. A change I would in principle welcome - but not at the cost of a smaller AF field and a louder shutter.

Last edited:
The D750 has a sh***load of improvements that should have been in the D600 already.

The D600 for example has a disappointing autofocus. The D750 has the best autofocus you can get from Nikon right now.

The D750 has a flipscreen, uber useful for video, macro, or simply shooting from the hip.

The D750 can show you the focus point in 100% magnification in a single click ... that alone is extremely valueable (and I'm angry at Nikon that they dont offer an upgrade for the D600/D610 so they can have that too).

The D750 is also smaller, more lightweight, has a better grip, builtin WiFi, ... etc etc etc.

I still have my D600 and I'll probably wait for the next generation, but if I would get a new camera - the D750 is a nobrainer.

And its not 500$ difference ... its a ~20% difference. If you buy a camera for 20$ or one for 520$ is a HUGE difference. If you buy a camera for 20000$ or one for 20500$ is not. Thus its in percent, not in absolute money.

Wow man you are one heck of a sales person, you should consider selling cameras for a living, ok I am convinced I change my recommendation to the D750, you buy a camera once every few years, spend the extra 500$ and get the best FF camera in its price range!

He didn't sell me...
  • The D610 is not a stupid camera--although it was stupid that Nikon had to resort to it.
  • The D600 AF is not disappointing.
  • Only 25% of the current Nikons have articulating screens.
  • This could be implemented into any Nikon with the inclusion of the 2 lines of code it took to do this.
  • The D750 is smaller by 3.2%-- in other words: If the D750 were 300 feet wide and 100 feet tall, the D610 would also be 300 feet wide and 100 feet tall because they actually measure the same width and height.
    • The D750 weighs 1.4% less than the D610. In other words: if the D750 weighed 1,700 lbs, both would be incredibly difficult to pick up. The burden of my life choices weigh heavier than the difference between the two.
    • I've read many accounts where people actually prefer the grip of the D600 over the D750...
  • It's a $500 difference. You buy cameras in absolute dollars, not percentages.
ps:
The D750 is basically a D4s that Nikon throttled back in firmware so you buy the D760 in a year or two when the only upgrade is another .5fps bump in burst speed.

The D610 is a bit of a stupid camera, really. You can get a D600 instead and its basically the same camera, just a lot cheaper and if there are any problems with sensor dust, Nikon will fix them anyway.

I realize the 750 is the newer and has some upgrades compared to the 610 but wondering if it's worth the $500 difference.
Yes.

If I was to set them up with the same lens and take the same shot would I see a difference?
Probably, since its a different sensor with a different postprocessing. However, you wont see great jumps in image quality, which is more likely your question. Both cameras have a state of the art 24 Megapixel sensors. The details will be slightly different. For example the D750 has the weaker Anti-Aliasing Filter, so you will see a tiny bit more sharpness if you magnify to 100% on a computer screen, assuming you used a really good lens in the optimal way (no blurr from shaking, no blurr from subject movement, no blurr from lens brutally stopped down, etc), but that should be all.

I'm hoping someone has done this already.
I have thought about it, in fact I'm still thinking about it, but I think the difference between the two cameras is too small for me to justify spending a full 2k€ again.

But as I said - if I would get a new camera, I would definitely get the D750.

P.s.: I should maybe also mention the two problems I have with the D750, the reasons I decided to not get one in the end:
- Despite using the same AF sensor is still not as wide as for the D810 and D4s
- The shutter is louder than the shutter of the D600/D610
Both things are caused by the fact Nikon shrinked the D750. A change I would in principle welcome - but not at the cost of a smaller AF field and a louder shutter.

wow.
do you even try to confirm any of the "facts" you constantly throw out here?
I would go down the list of how wrong this post is on pretty much every point, but Braineack beat me to it.

Most reactions

Back