D610 or D750

Do you think the AF-S 50mm f1.4 is worth the extra money over the AF-S 50mm f1.8 lens?

The 50mm 1.8G performs better at f1.8 than the 50mm 1.4G does. Only by about f2.8 does the 50mm 1.4G perform on-par with the 50mm 1.8G. The 50mm 1.8G should focus a little bit quicker as well. The only reason you should purchase the 1.4 is if you need the wider aperture.

I don't think the subjective better rendering of the 1.4 over 1.8 makes up for the cost and size.

If that's true, consider me shocked!
Err ... why ?!? Thats pretty normal ? More aperture means more lens complexity. More complexity means more sources of error. Thus, in very, very general, lenses with less maximum aperture tend to be better than those of larger maximum aperture.

Again, in very, very general. With countless counterexamples. But assuming both lenses are created with the same set of tolerances, yes the one with the smaller maximum aperture should always win.

I don't think the subjective better rendering of the 1.4 over 1.8 makes up for the cost and size.
The 50/1.4 G and 50/1.8 G are the same size. They use the same shell.

The 1.4 is heavier and more costly though, but it's not much comparatively to other lenses like the 85s.

ah, i was thinking about the 58mm size/weight/cost.

If I could find a good deal a on a 1.4G I might go for it, but you can find the 1.8G for such good prices--In fact I almost bought one last week at $120 shipped.

50mm 1.8D = $180
50mm 1.8G = $220
50mm 1.4D = $370
50mm 1.4G = $480
58mm 1.4G = $1,700

85mm 1.8G = $500
85mm 1.4G = $1,700

Last edited:
Do you think the AF-S 50mm f1.4 is worth the extra money over the AF-S 50mm f1.8 lens?
Simply put it ?

No!

Nikon 50mm f1.8 is sharper and the DOF difference between the F1.4 and F1.8 isnt great, if you want the lens for low light then every bit of extra light is helpful BUT if you shoot something that is close then the DOF is so narrow that there is a good chance that your shoot will be OOF.
So I woudnt bother getting the F1.4G

I've been looking at a lot of my photos to see what I mostly shoot at and for reference using the 1.5 crop factor to get an idea of what I like. I think right now the 50mm f/1.8G and the 70/200mm f/4 VR will be a good starting point for me.

If that's true, consider me shocked!
Err ... why ?!?
Cause if I am paying twice the amount of money for something, the least I'd expect is to have the same, if not better, level of consistency with everything. I guess things don't work that way in the real world.

I just finished reading a few reviews comparing the two and decided ill never get one :p

Nikon 50mm 1.4G vs 50mm 1.8G - ima foto

I could still see splurging for the 58mm as it seems to handle itself better than the 50mm in many regards, but would still only make sense if I was going to be using it a majority of my shoots and could justify it.

Thanks for the review Braineack it confirmed my choice.

I just finished reading a few reviews comparing the two and decided ill never get one :p

Nikon 50mm 1.4G vs 50mm 1.8G - ima foto

I could still see splurging for the 58mm as it seems to handle itself better than the 50mm in many regards, but would still only make sense if I was going to be using it a majority of my shoots and could justify it.

Do you mean you'll never get a 50mm 1.8G and 1.4G, or just the 1.4G? I've heard some hate against the 1.8G, and I still don't understand it (other than possibly copy variation).

The 50mm 1.4G--I'd buy a 50 1.8G or 58mm 1.4G.

But I see no reason to spend twice as much on the 50mm 1.4G over the 1.8G on a worse lens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back