D610 question

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I normally am fairly ok at seperating what's important to me from what is irrelevant. I want to add an fx Nikon to my kit. I am aware of all the benefits the d750 has and in a way this would probably be an ideal camera for me.

However, my budget will stretch to a d610. I think it has everything I need, sure I'd like the tilting screen and live view aperture control but have done without it thus far.

My question is about the autofocus, is it good. The d750 is hailed at being so much superior, and I have used the 750, it is very good. Would you think I'd notice a massive difference with the d610. I have used a d610 briefly, but not enough to make a good judgement.

Thanks

Hi all,

I normally am fairly ok at seperating what's important to me from what is irrelevant. I want to add an fx Nikon to my kit. I am aware of all the benefits the d750 has and in a way this would probably be an ideal camera for me.

However, my budget will stretch to a d610. I think it has everything I need, sure I'd like the tilting screen and live view aperture control but have done without it thus far.

My question is about the autofocus, is it good. The d750 is hailed at being so much superior, and I have used the 750, it is very good. Would you think I'd notice a massive difference with the d610. I have used a d610 briefly, but not enough to make a good judgement.

Thanks

I've never used the D750, but I think it really depends on what you are looking to use the camera for. My D600 has been fine for portraiture, landscape, and for photos of my 2-year-old and dog running around. If you were more into wildlife and sports, I think it'd make a much bigger difference.

I find that I "miss" with my D610 about 10% of the time. It's a bigger issue when I have the multi point focused enabled than it is when I use single point.

PS – I do a lot of low light shooting
PPS – that 10% is just a number I pulled out of the air and could be totally wrong- it's more of an impression that a fact

I had the D600 and D750 at the same time.

Focusing-wise the D750 likes a little more contrast. The d600 would focus on items that had less contrast.
If there is enough contrast then the D750 will lock on quicker, but this is also a function of the lens as I've found the focusing on my D500 (the one with the blazingly fast AF system) and D750 is about the same on some lenses and much different on other lenses.

I used the D600 for a couple years for sports and learned how to use it really well. If you use tracking the D750 tracking will be superior. If you us single or d9 there's not much difference and the lens performance will be the deciding factor. IMHO

Feel-wise the D6x0 had more girth and felt better in my hands than the D750. The "3 line" LCD shoulder screen is also larger on the D6x0 and offers more info than the "2 line" D750. But mine is stuck on my telescope a lot and the non-moving LCD screen was really the deciding factor. I don't know how I survived without it now as I always had to readjust my scope in height .. and moving a 150lb telescope is no easy matter.

I'd say go with the D6x0. The 39 pt AF coverage on the screen is really good. The d750's 51pt system is about the same coverage just more condensed.

I can't recall your DX camera but the D6x0 AF sensor was an upgraded/tweaked version of the one on the D7000 (which I also had). I read a website once before which went over the AF sensor improvements of the one on the d7000 vs d6x0 but can't find it now quickly.

Focusing-wise the D750 likes a little more contrast. The d600 would focus on items that had less contrast.
If there is enough contrast then the D750 will lock on quicker, but this is also a function of the lens as I've found the focusing on my D500 (the one with the blazingly fast AF system) and D750 is about the same on some lenses and much different on other lenses.

I used the D600 for a couple years for sports and learned how to use it really well. If you use tracking the D750 tracking will be superior. If you us single or d9 there's not much difference and the lens performance will be the deciding factor. IMHO

Feel-wise the D6x0 had more girth and felt better in my hands than the D750. The "3 line" LCD shoulder screen is also larger on the D6x0 and offers more info than the "2 line" D750. But mine is stuck on my telescope a lot and the non-moving LCD screen was really the deciding factor. I don't know how I survived without it now as I always had to readjust my scope in height .. and moving a 150lb telescope is no easy matter.

I'd say go with the D6x0. The 39 pt AF coverage on the screen is really good. The d750's 51pt system is about the same coverage just more condensed.

I can't recall your DX camera but the D6x0 AF sensor was an upgraded/tweaked version of the one on the D7000 (which I also had). I read a website once before which went over the AF sensor improvements of the one on the d7000 vs d6x0 but can't find it now quickly.
My main camera is a d7200, I use a d3100 as a second camera. To be honest I am swaying towards a d610 in the next month or so, If I wait for a d750 it will be 3 months or so down the road. I do a little wildlife, but reckon the d7200 would be more on duty for this type of shot

Thanks all for input

My main camera is a d7200, I use a d3100 as a second camera. To be honest I am swaying towards a d610 in the next month or so, If I wait for a d750 it will be 3 months or so down the road. I do a little wildlife, but reckon the d7200 would be more on duty for this type of shot

Thanks all for input
There are D750 sales with grip at $1500 new in the US

That may be a deciding factor too.

Thanks all for input
There are D750 sales with grip at $1500 new in the US

That may be a deciding factor too.
Not for me. A d750 is 2149 euros in my local shop without a grip, I think that's about 2400 dollars. If I bought a grey it can be got for about 1400. I think I'll chance a grey d610

You'll love the low light capabilities so much that you'll just forget about the few benefits the D750 offers. Haha.

Honestly even though I am a D750 user I think the D610 is best full frame camera for the money in the market.
In many ways its very close to the D750, if money is tight don't hesitate to buy the D610, you will be very happy with it!
I cant seriously comment about the AF difference between the two as I never shot a D610 but my gut feeling is that the difference will not be huge.

Honestly even though I am a D750 user I think the D610 is best full frame camera for the money in the market.
In many ways its very close to the D750, if money is tight don't hesitate to buy the D610, you will be very happy with it!
I cant seriously comment about the AF difference between the two as I never shot a D610 but my gut feeling is that the difference will not be huge.
I totally agree. I loved using my D600. I only bought the D750 becz I broke the mount on mine and needed a camera. So I bought the D750. Then I used it on my telescope and the flippy screen sold it. I sold the D600 to help pay for the d750. But the D600 has all the features that someone needs for most things except a high end tracking AF system and fast FPS.

But a great package with a great feature list for a low cost FF.

Most reactions

Back