d70 1/500th sync speed q's

i'm using my d300 at iso 100, 1/250th, and f/8, my flash at half power. i put the 1 stop ND filter on and lower my aperture to 5.6. i would then have to raise my flash to 1 full power to for the exposure, correct?

if so that's a pretty even trade for me, since it's less depth of field and that's what i would like to achieve the vast majority of the time

Nope because output power of the flash is also affected by the aperture which you opened one stop to counter the effect of the ND filter. So it's an even better trade :)

ND, Aperture, ISO affect flash. The only thing that doesn't is the shutterspeed.

Well if you are using CLS, what is stopping you from using F/2.8 and a higher shutter speed to *both* decrease background light and DOF? Look up High Speed FP flash in the D300 manual. ;)

This lets you use up to 1/8000th of a second shutter times, as long as your Nikon flash is close enough and powerful to properly expose the subject you can do anything to the background in terms of darkening or blurring it.

haha i know what cls is. unlike many i have read through my camera manual many times and explored all my options, this particular one does not sound ideal to me. plus, i don't have any cls capable flashes anymore.

and to garbz: that's true, i didn't think about the aperture and ND basically canceling each other out in that sense. you've been very helpful in this thread :D

Last edited:
haha i know what cls is.

I knew that you knew what CLS is, what I was referring to was PF focal plan flash. Since you don't have anymore Nikon flashes, its a moot point.

I think you were slightly confused about the differences aperture and shutter speed made in an exposure and what happens when what dial is turned when it came time to dial down the background exposure without loosing the flashed exposure and DOF.

ISO affects the entire picture, so that is out of the question to use it as a balancer between foreground and background.

ND filters do the same, but in the opposite direction. Again, useless in this case unless you open your lens so far that in the current conditions you cannot balance things out.

Aperture affects the entire exposure, but since you want a shallow DOF, this is the ONLY means to accomplish this.

Shutter speed affects the ambient, but NOT the areas covered by the flash. Basically, by increasing shutter speed, I can darken or kill the background without changing the exposure on the subject lit by the flash.

If you want to darken the background, increase shutter speed. If you want to blur the background, increase aperture size, that's about as easy as it can be said.

BTW, not directly related but something to keep in mind... the D300 isn't a "true" ISO100... it's boosted. It's native ISO is 200.

BTW, not directly related but something to keep in mind... the D300 isn't a "true" ISO100... it's boosted. It's native ISO is 200.

Yup, but the difference between a true ISO 100 and a "reduced ISO 200" mode is extremely minor. There is no loss in dynamic range or anything like that. :)

Yup, but the difference between a true ISO 100 and a "reduced ISO 200" mode is extremely minor. There is no loss in dynamic range or anything like that. :)

(not to hijack thread, but...) Doesn't it wind up giving you additional noise or something? There's some reason IIRC why you're kind of better off shooting in ISO200 than a "fake/boosted" ISO100.

I knew that you knew what CLS is, what I was referring to was PF focal plan flash. Since you don't have anymore Nikon flashes, its a moot point.

I think you were slightly confused about the differences aperture and shutter speed made in an exposure and what happens when what dial is turned when it came time to dial down the background exposure without loosing the flashed exposure and DOF.

ISO affects the entire picture, so that is out of the question to use it as a balancer between foreground and background.

ND filters do the same, but in the opposite direction. Again, useless in this case unless you open your lens so far that in the current conditions you cannot balance things out.

Aperture affects the entire exposure, but since you want a shallow DOF, this is the ONLY means to accomplish this.

Shutter speed affects the ambient, but NOT the areas covered by the flash. Basically, by increasing shutter speed, I can darken or kill the background without changing the exposure on the subject lit by the flash.

If you want to darken the background, increase shutter speed. If you want to blur the background, increase aperture size, that's about as easy as it can be said.

no, i was not confused about the differences between shutter speed, iso, and aperture effecting a picture while using flash. i'm aware of the changes they make as far as letting in ambient light etc goes.

i just thought that the d70s 1/500th shutter speed was canceled out by its native iso 200. i didn't put the pieces together for some reason to see that it the benefit reaped from that is using a lower flash power, because i was previously under the impression that it had a native iso of 100, which would let me use a lower aperture to attain the exposure i wanted.

sorry if you missunderstod my original question, i realize it wasn't worded to well

(not to hijack thread, but...) Doesn't it wind up giving you additional noise or something? There's some reason IIRC why you're kind of better off shooting in ISO200 than a "fake/boosted" ISO100.

i've heard the same before too. i sill most of the time find myself using the boosted 100 on my camera though.

The way I understand it, doesn't the D300 just shoot and ISO 200 and digitally reduce it by a stop? Everything I've read says that you need to be very careful with the highlights using LO-1.

Most reactions

Back