D70 Airshow Settings

Depends what lens you're using as this will determine your desired shutter speed. Aim for 1/focal length at least. From your sig list I assume you'll be using the 200mm lens. To be honest that's a bit short. I'd recommend at least 300mm, but you should still get some good shots with the 200mm if they're close enough.

If you're shooting jets then the shutter speed can be nice and high. Push the ISO if necessary. For prop aircraft you'll want to get some nice prop blurring effects. This means a shutter speed of about 1/200. so you may want to get a monopod for support and hope you get some keepers. Of course if you don't mind freezing the prop then just shoot at high shutter speed.

As for exposure settings I'd recommend starting off in matrix metering with a +0.3 EV setting. Don't be tempted to use centre weighted metering for aircraft in the sky....it doesn't work.

If you're shooting jpg then make sure the in-camera contrast is set to minimum to prevent pushing the sensor's dynamic range between bright sky and possibly dark aircraft. You'll need to tweak contrast in PP later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back