D70, Manual Modes

wjastrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm greatly enjoying my Nikon D70 but am struggling to use its "manual" modes.

The owners manual is hopeless and I've looked through available titles in bookstores that either presume a level of sophistication I don't have or gloss over the fundemental details I believe I need to know.

I use the manual focus mode (I have both the 28-70mm and 70-300mm Nikon lenses) when the auto focus fails (more frequently than I'd care for) or needs "help" but I've missed a few shots when the D70 and I disagree about whether a picture is viable.

The best advice I've received is "shoot pictures; see what happens" but I'm hoping for a more reliable suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

I don't understand what your question is. I've used both those lenses on my D70 and had no problems focusing. Are you shooting in bad light?

It sounds to me like an amateur who bought a pro camera...

My mum's friend's friend (got that?) said to me that photography is a very hard subject to do - there's lots of theory. Then I realised she was talking about aperture - because she bought a camera, and the manuals only tell her what the buttons are, not what they do or how they work...

Is that the problem here?

Perhaps the reason why you have to switch to manual focus is because your shooting in low light situations, with a lens that isn't well equipped for low light shooting.

Im nont sure I understood the question either though

i *think* he was saying that his only experience with manual modes is using autofocus - and i *think* he is asking for info about aperture, shutter speeds, etc.

I am not the one to answer that,because I am still confused by them

Goodness!

I didn't mean that to be so confusing.

I'm tickled at the notion that my D70 is considered "professional" equipment but I would WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree with my level of expertise. Or the lack thereof.

Succintly, fadingaway is correct.

I'm quite able to use the manual focus mode of the lenses I have, however, the manual modes (M, A, S, P) of the D70 itself remain a mystery. I can't help feeling like I'm only using "half" of the camera.

This is my 3rd digital camera (Kodak's DC200+ and DC290 being the first two) and I selected the D70 because I would not quickly "outgrow" it. In the 14 months I've had it, I've taken 100's of pictures that would not have been possible with "fixed lense" models.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Am I deluding myself that there is any point in learning to use the "traditional" modes of photography? Should I just be satisfied with the built-in features of the automatic modes?

I'm actively searching for a class in the use of an SLR camera and would appreciate any thoughts on that as well.

wjastrow said:
Am I deluding myself that there is any point in learning to use the "traditional" modes of photography? Should I just be satisfied with the built-in features of the automatic modes?

Learning to use the 4 basic modes would be a fantastic thing to do. Once you understand what they do and how to use them to control your camera...you will probably never use the silly automatic modes.

Do some reading on the basic terms, you will need to understand them in order to follow along. It may take a while for the terms & numbers to sink in...but once they do, you will be on your way.

Aperture & Shutter speed - how they affect Exposure and how they relate to each other. Depth of Field and how it's controlled by the Aperture.

It would also be handy to learn about how Shutter speed affects motion blur and how to avoid the effects of camera shake.

The basic principles of photography have remained the same forever...even if you read a 50 year old book about photography, the basics are still the same with your new digital camera.

I think you'll find that on the D70 the A S M and P modes are manual and semi automatic 'shutter' settings not 'focus' settings. The auto focus setting switch is on the side of the lens not the top of the body and says something like 'a/mf' ('I'm doing this from memory!)

That said you should find that A is apreture priority, S shutter, M fully manual and P auto (I think) if you don't know the difference between aperture and shutter then that is a different question for a different thread!

put it on (m) mode, find somethign you want to shoot, manual focus onto what you're shooting, if you dont know what you want for your shutter speed just look through the lens, look at the bottom where the 0 is with the lines either to the right or left and move the dial either to the left or right (if its on the right side of the 0 your shot will be over exposed, if its on the right it will be too dark)

its pretty easy...just play with the settings. take lots of pictures - you can remember, thats why you bought a digital.

*bows down to Miki*

Thank you!! That is >EXACTLY< what I want.

Most reactions

Back