D700 Price Vs 5D ...

Here the D700 is about $500 cheaper than the 5Dmk2, which is it is currently winning on my list of what to upgrade my pentax to.

I think the 5D rocks because I have one and I've never used the Nikon or the Sony so my opinion rocks and yours doesn't and anyway everyone knows that everything is always changing so there now my brand rules and yours doesn't and I have a sticker with Calvin peeing on your brand and also mine is better anyway so yeah haha internet ftw 1337

I think the 5D rocks because I have one and I've never used the Nikon or the Sony so my opinion rocks and yours doesn't and anyway everyone knows that everything is always changing so there now my brand rules and yours doesn't and I have a sticker with Calvin peeing on your brand and also mine is better anyway so yeah haha internet ftw 1337

:biglaugh:

Damn! And I thought you were a Hasselblad-Boy...

Traitor! :p

would you believe me if I said yes? it's not weather-sealed. D700 is. good thing you didn't design either of them, or else you might have taken that personally, right?
1ds3 is reportedly having problems with certain glass. ie 16-35II. 24-70L?
lastly, who cares about the 50D? its resolution has nothing to do with that of the 5d2, or D700.

The 5D MKII has weather seals. It has a rain rating of something like 3cm/ 1 minute iirc. It's not water proof, but that's the same rating that Canon gave the 1D series cameras.

50D. Well, it has a much higher pixel density than the 5D MKII. Like I posted above, it's close to something like 38mp on a full frame sensor. The 5D MKII's 21.4 is equal to about 8mp on a 1.6x crop. So if a camera like the XTI that's 10mp, the XSI that's 12mp, and the 50D that's 15mp don't have to worry about lenses not being capable of resolving, why would a 5D MKII or 1Ds MKIII with less pixel density but with a larger sensor have problems resolving.

That's the same exact question posted above, just worded a little differently. Am I going to get, "what do the xti, xsi, and 50D have to do with this?" as an answer?

You wouldn't happen to own nothing but Nikon gear and despise everything else that the other manufactures put out there, would you?

When any of Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. claims their cameras are waterPROOF thats when i'll gladly prove them wrong while taking it on a dive :D

What i'm a bit curious to actually is before Nikon "invented" weathersealings on their cameras (at least in advertisements :D what did people do when it rained? Did they immediately file for insurance claim or did they perchance continue shooting or even bring rain-protection? :D

When any of Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. claims their cameras are waterPROOF thats when i'll gladly prove them wrong while taking it on a dive :D

What i'm a bit curious to actually is before Nikon "invented" weathersealings on their cameras (at least in advertisements :D what did people do when it rained? Did they immediately file for insurance claim or did they perchance continue shooting or even bring rain-protection? :D

Weather proof housings or something like plastic bags.

They're "splash proof" not depth tested. :confused:

But they have waterPROOF housings if you're into diving. :p

Old school weather sealing:

fulton_birdcage_umbrella.jpg

:lol:

They're "splash proof" not depth tested. :confused:

But they have waterPROOF housings if you're into diving. :p

Way ahead of you =)

But the point is that i see the weather sealing being screamed on a lot of forums and dont get me wrong, all that protects the camera is good. But it's not a solve-all-lets-go-jump-in-the-next-hurricane solution. For the occasional drissle and splash then pretty much all brands who have some sort of weathersealing handle that.

But if you are going into an environment where you argue if the weathersealing might or might not hold, i wouldn't like to bring my 1DsMk3 or D3 into that environment without some ADDITIONAL protection anyway. Like the excellent weatherseal shown above (hehe now thats a shoot-through umbrella allright :D or a rain-protection bag.

Else we can argue if the Nikon weatherseal is better or worse than Canon or Olympus, or sony, or whatever. It will be like arguing which shutter-button is the best. I buy my camera based on what i need, and i protect it accordingly.

Sorry if i sound like ranting and maybe a tougher than nails weatherseal really is that important to you but for me it's just one level of protection which will need more levels to up your bets of handling the environment you are going to shoot in.

I am sorry, but I have been in bad weather with a 5D, which apparently has much less weather sealing than both the 5D mkII and the D700, and I never had any problems. I am an outdoor photographer (and one who by now has touched Canon and Nikon, OMG!).

You should keep in mind that companies usually give understatements when it comes to weather sealing for reasons of liability. If people hear 'weathersealed', some will take their camera under the shower for half an hour every morning and then tell the manufacturer it is their fault that it got damaged.

And regarding this brand-fetish thing with some people, I will not comment since if I did I would get banned probably :p

Hey Alex! Happy with the reindeers? :D

And re brand-loyalty it's all fine but it's just tools, regardless of if it says Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Sinar, Mamiya, Leaf, Sony, whatever.

I sure dont go to the "Carpenter's Forum" and argue that my hammer is cooler than yours :D

Hey Alex! Happy with the reindeers? :D

Yeah, they are actually quite nice and friendly, treated me like a brother.

And re brand-loyalty it's all fine but it's just tools, regardless of if it says Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Sinar, Mamiya, Leaf, Sony, whatever.

Loyalty/preference are things different from fetishism ;)

I sure dont go to the "Carpenter's Forum" and argue that my hammer is cooler than yours :D

You should not, because mine is much superior! And in addition, it is totally weather sealed!!

Loyalty/preference are things different from fetishism ;)
Uh uh.. dont look too close on my portfolio then :D

You should not, because mine is much superior! And in addition, it is totally weather sealed!!
Hah! i was SOOO close to write that myself but thought "Nah, this is the internet, someone will probably misinterpret it :D

Most reactions

Back