D700 "upgrade"

No news YET!

crysvg.png

Now it feels right to get that 60D...
So now i was wondering which one will come out faster, D800 or mkIII

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

:::::::::::clicksfingers:::::::::::::::

The D700 replacement has been 'about to be released' for about two years, now. With the stock problems, the prices for new and used cameras going up, and the manufacturing issues, I wouldn't expect a D800 to be announced in 2011 and probably not available until at least mid 2012.

Why should they release an update? Canon still doesn't have anything to compete with it and Nikon can barely keep them in stock. Nikon has no reason to push for the release. They can afford to wait.

The people who are buying that class of camera probably have a substantial investment in Nikon gear and they aren't likely to switch manufacturers. With the shortage, the price increases, and the competition, it would make little business sense to release a new pro camera.

I think we will continue to see coolpix and mirrorless announced for at least another 6 months.

exactly (or close enough) to what I said a while back when I bought my D700....

Glad I got a fresh D7000, I'm sticking it out for a while
bigthumb.gif

But hope you're wrong LoL

Glad I got a fresh D7000, I'm sticking it out for a while
bigthumb.gif

But hope you're wrong LoL

I might be. Nikon has definitely made some strange decisions in the past, but I think they may have learned their lesson about releasing cameras that steal marketshare from cameras that are still flying off the shelves.

If it was me, I would release the D4 about a month before the 2012 Olympics and release the D800 about a year later. I think before the earthquake, they would have liked to already have the d800 on the shelves and still release the D4 just prior to the 2012 Olympics. Now, it doesn't make sense to release them very close together. It would hurt sales of the D4 too badly and I don't think they are going to try to market the D800 as the camera of the Olympics. So, with everything that has happened, I think the D4 will come out first, and it's not until sales stall that a D800 will come around.

I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Most reactions

Back