D700 vs. D7000

I went from a D7000 to a D700 and all I got to say is NIGHT and DAY. You won't regret it.

Yeah Nikon may come out with a new model (and I held out a while), but if i was chasing new models of everything I wouldn't own anything....I opted to live a little =)

Funny how different sites have different info...this one says the D7000 clearly wins over the D700...hmmmmm

Nikon D700 vs D7000

Funny how different sites have different info...this one says the D7000 clearly wins over the D700...hmmmmm

Nikon D700 vs D7000

Sure... if you value things like HD video with a slight edge in resolution and dynamic range over things like a significantly larger sensor, significantly larger viewfinder, better low light performance, and significantly better AF Module :D

Nikon D700 vs D7000

Some people are silly. Heck, Ken Rockwell gets millions of hits on his website but his advice is still silly.

There simply is no comparison between the D700 and the D7000. They are both DSLR's and they are both made by Nikon. After that, the similarities pretty much stop. The D7000 isn't even in the same ballpark.

Having the D700 and having the D7000 to play with and compare (my nieces) they are like having a box of convenience store wine and a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio, both are wines but the differences are very noticeable once you have had the other. Going from your D80 to your D7000 would be a good upgrade most likely but going to the D700 will really be noticeable. We can't ever find many NEW D700's in Canada anymore I would jump on that offer if the body is in good shape with low actuations.

Say it aint sooooooo.

Ken Rockwell and Jared Polin are my role models....I even thought that if I could grow a FRO I could shoot better....:lol::lol::lol:

Not a fan of the D700 mainly due to its size. It's ridiculously big. Noise performance wise, the clear winner is the D700 no question. But at the same time... when I tried to D700, because of all the hype built up in my head, I was expecting... no noise at ISO3200. Which I know isn't realistic but the way people say "way better noise performance" I expected to see... no noise. It's still there, it's just way better than the D7000. At the end of the day, I'm a big fan of crop sensors, the DoF is shallow enough and if the rumours of the 36mp D800 sensor is true, I doubt it's going to be significantly better in terms of high ISO than the D400. If they both come out at the same time, I definitely know what I'm getting.

Seriously though, is the D800 going to have better ISO performance than the D700?

MrSleepin said:
they are both nikon....so, no help what so ever.

my point is: when reach the highend of the spectrum small increases in performance and rarity equal huge differences in price. You could easily be asking why a d3s cost three times as much as a d700, or why a d7000 cost nearly twice as much as a d90.

Last edited:
If you really don't understand where the price difference comes from, forget both and grab a used D90.

i see the fx format/bigger sensor being a big factor...
You just answered your question in the first post.

It's a semipro camera. Plus the D700 prizes went crazy after the tsunami in Japan.

If you are not sure if you want to buy a D700 and why does it cost so much that means you don't need it. End of story.

Comparing the D700 and D7000 is just stupid, those are two completely different cameras. Comparing a D300s and the D7000 would make more sense. (and i'd still choose the D300s for it's durability and prize)

Robert raises (to Me) the actual value at best. The D300 instead of a D7000. I want a D7000 because it has lots of whistles, HOWEVER I am an amateur and have a D50 , I also had a D200 (sold it last week). The D200 was CRAZY better than the D50 ....and I am a Camera idiot, LOL really, seriously I admit I know nothing compared to pros and even I could see a difference in the D200...soooo I am thinking D300 not D300s , If I want video I want 60FPS minimum for slow motion....then all is covered. The D300s has that waggle issue with side to side motion...yuck. The D300 seems to be the middle hero in its Format. Will I ever know what I am missing from D700...I don't know , perhaps I will read a little more and learn. :)

what it really boils down to is that if you have to ask....buy the D7000.

Although just my opinion, I would never recommend a Harley or Ducati (you get my point) as an upgrade from a Vespa and although I have seen people rush out to buy the very best gear it's usually not used to take advantage of it's improvements.

Clearly you haven't read enough or understand the basics of the technology. There's a busload of good info on this site and others regarding the hardware, keep reading.

Most reactions

Back