D7000 Commander Mode, Disable on camera flash?

pen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When in commander mode with the D7000 is there a way to disable the on board flash? It says there is in the manual but it is still firing. I have set the Camera flash to -- in the menu and set the flash mode on the top screen to nothing and it is still firing.

I gather it needs to flash to fire the slave but I understood that is a pre-flash and shouldn't be picked up in the photo.

What am I missing or am I just misunderstanding?

It will fire a pre-shot to trigger the off-cam flashes, even though you have it off in the menu. Totally normal.

It looks as though I'm still getting lighting on the subject from the front.

I'm doing it right then so I will do some test setups to see what I'm getting.

Thanks for the help.

It looks as though I'm still getting lighting on the subject from the front.

I'm doing it right then so I will do some test setups to see what I'm getting.

Thanks for the help.

Pen when you set up commander mode set the pop-up flash to this ---> --

And it shouldn't interfere although it seems obvious it will.

That is what it is set to. I was very close to the subject so that might have been all that it was.

Hi there. I'm a newbie here and new in photography. I'm having somewhat similar problem with my D7000. Having read the manual, my understanding is if I set the built-in flash to "--", it should fire preflash but i don't see it firing anything. If i set it to TTL, it fires flash that mixes remote flash. Btw, i'm using SB700. Have you figured out how this thing works? Thanks :)

The pre-flashes are extremely short, and are almost impossible for the human eye to see.

They have to be kept short so the flash capacitor (it's kind of like a battery) is not significantly drained and the popup can fire at full power if necessary

I've read the whole thread, but it still doesn't make sense to me that the pre-flash should be picked up in the photo. In this picture, you can clearly see the built-in flash on my d7000 (I used 35mm lens, and distance to the subject was about 2ft). Do you know what might be the problem?
$08.jpg

Most reactions

Back