D7000 or D5100

What do you plan to do with the camera? It sounds like you're just learning, but do you know enough about photography to know whether you want to become really serious about it, or just take nice photographs?

I have a D5100, just got it a couple months ago, and it's my first-ever DSLR. I picked it because: a) it was the best I could afford and b) my sister also has a Nikon and we'll be able to exchange some lenses. Had I been able to afford it, I would have bought the D7000, because I already know that I am interested in taking my photography to new levels.

BUT--I've been doing photography, as a hobby, for over 30 years now. I was pretty serious about when I started, but then time, career and CHILDREN distracted me, and it became more of a past-time than a hobby; in the last 5-10 years, I've become more and more serious about it.
I don't really aspire to being a "professional" photographer. But on the other hand, I definitely want to do more than just take nice photos. I've sold some of my work; I've won a few contests, here and there. And that was with a point-and-shoot. My aspirations for the DSLR are simply to make even better photos, sell a few more of them (not looking to make a fortune, just maybe offset the cost of the occasional new lens, etc), win some more photo contests (there's money to be made here, too, but mostly I do it because it makes me happy to know someone else liked my photography, too), and branch out and try NEW things (I tend to be drawn to nature photography, but just went and did my first ever portrait photo-shoot).

My point is, when I decided to step into the DSLR world, I already had a sense of what I want to DO with my photography. Eventually, I'll upgrade, but I think the D5100, with some better lenses as I can afford them, will serve my purposes for at least a couple of years.

I own both. And I also own a few AF lenses, which will not focus on the 5100. Bottom line - the D7000 is worth the extra money.

D7000 , no contest. You will accumulate lenses over time, better off starting with an amazing camera body and a good all-around lens as opposed to a decent camera body with 2 lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back