EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would you choose
1. Nikon D7000 with kit lens (18-105mm)
OR
2. Nikon D5100 with kit lens (18-55mm) and another lens (around $300)?

They are too different to be compared...

For amateur use the D7000 is ok, to point and shot the D5100 can be an option.

Another D7000 vs. D5100 thread already!?

I guess the forum search tool and google is broken.
google.gif

I have the D7000, so far it has been great to use, I don't have the kit lens so I don't know if it is any good. Kit lenses are generally poor how ever but that all depends on how you are going to use your camera.

So what is it that you plan on doing with your camera?

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

EchoingWhisper said:
Would you choose
OR

For what I have read if you are if you are going to be a hobbyist the 7000 and that lens is pretty good plus a bargain in the kit. If you have other nikon lenses then save the cash for a specific lens you want or perhaps a flash unit. The 5100 is exc for point and shoot and less serious applications. Both highly rated

EchoingWhisper said:
Would you choose
OR

For what I have read if you are if you are going to be a hobbyist the 7000 and that lens is pretty good plus a bargain in the kit. If you have other nikon lenses then save the cash for a specific lens you want or perhaps a flash unit. The 5100 is exc for point and shoot and less serious applications. Both highly rated

So we are now defining Pro, Hobbyist and Amateur by the bodies they shoot? lol! I know a "pro" that still uses a D40, and several that use the D7000 (yes.. primarily as a second body). I also know some Amateurs and Hobbyists that use D3's. It ain't the body, it is how you use it! :)

I have both.

I use the D5100 for trips, hikes, and HD 1080 at 30fps. I really like the swivel LCD.

I use the D7000 for Events. Two cards, double the battery life, and more lens selection.
Also the D7000 multiselector locks,
I am constantly changing the focal point by bumping it on the D5100 when I use it as a back up camera.

Both actually have almost the same sensor, and D5100 is supposed to have a slightly better sensor, just slightly.

Both actually have almost the same sensor, and D5100 is supposed to have a slightly better sensor, just slightly.

It just lacks features we need. The list is too long to go through but if you google a comparison you'll see.

I have both.

I use the D5100 for trips, hikes, and HD 1080 at 30fps. I really like the swivel LCD.

I use the D7000 for Events. Two cards, double the battery life, and more lens selection.
Also the D7000 multiselector locks,
I am constantly changing the focal point by bumping it on the D5100 when I use it as a back up camera.

Scrapped mine long ago and use a craigslist D80 for backup. Its twice the cam of the D5100, even works with all my lenses LoL

Yes, the D7000 is a lot easier to use.
However, it does not take that much time and effort to learn the D5100
You can use any Nikon lens on it if you Manual focus, but almost all new Nikkors are AF-S.
I would not trade mine for two D80s

Yes, the D7000 is a lot easier to use.
However, it does not take that much time and effort to learn the D5100
You can use any Nikon lens on it if you Manual focus, but almost all new Nikkors are AF-S.
I would not trade mine for two D80s

I agree the 5100 will work in manual mode fine, but it won't focus all the lens, remotely fire flashes (without external triggers), the viewfinder is not as clear as the D7000 nor made from the same materials, 2 memory cards, and on and on and on

Yep it is not always about sensor performance. Sometimes it is about added controls & features for a more capable camera in more situations. Many become frustrated in first year and wished they bit the bullet and paid for a more capable camera. I was one of them starting with an entry camera like the D5100 with the D40 and within 9 months upgraded to the D80.

The D7000 would be the choice as it will give you more dedicated controls without the need of your eye leaving the Larger & Brighter viewfinder to go menu digging and missing the shot. Also CLS for wireless controlling flashes,Built in motor for a lot more AF and AF-D used lens choices. Ability to add a true grip for vertical shooting. Faster FPS and more AF points for superior AF speed. Fine-Tune lenses to body for optimal sharpness. And many other features that may become needed down the road. As I would rather have a camera I can grow into over next 2 or 3 years than one to grow out of the 1st year. That may or may not apply to you. As many also find the entry cameras like the D5100 All They Need and are quite happy with them.

Guess it comes down to intended use. For me it required the more capable camera body. I am in process of selling my D90 to upgrade to D7000. And would suggest to people that even the D90 is more capable camera for day to day for my needs than the D5100. And recommend looking at the D90 if funds are limited. And a Damn good camera to start with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back