D7000 to ???

tigetsnaps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I currently shoot ice hockey with a Nikon D7000
And a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and 17-50mm f2.8 lens. As I am shooting in the U.K. and not the states the rink lighting is less than perfect , vast improvement on 10 years ago when they were orange sodium bulbs. I normally shoot at f4 1/650 and have to ramp ISO up to 6400. I would like to upgrade the body so, D7200 or D610 or D750 ?, know I will lose some reach if I go Fx but don't see that as a deal breaker (70mm on dx
Is to close to net) its more about getting faster shots with out a lot of noise in the images.
What to do ?

Oh I also shoot the odd wedding and portrait

None of the above. I would look into d500. Same price point as d750 listed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Look into the D7200: probably the mostest for the leastest currently. The slight advantages of Nikon prosumer FX models is offset by sizeable price differences relative to the D7200. There's also the likelihood of some holiday discounts just down the road.

D500 or D750

Why D500

Best AF in the market
Camera was made for wildlife and sports
High burst 10FPS with 200 shots RAW buffer
You can keep your Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 as its a DX lens
Pro body
Very good low light performance
More reach from your lenses

Why D750

Excellent AF (D500 is better)
Amazing low light performance (better then the D500)
Bit more resolution (not really a big deal though)

I love the D750, for general use camera I would say for sure get it.
For pure sports the D500 has the advantage, I wouldn't want the D500 as I am not a sports shooter and I think over all FX is better.
You cant go wrong with either but as I said for pure sports the D500 is better.

D500 or d750 as above
I went from the d7000 to the d600 and now also have the d750.

The ONE big advantage that I now use is the ISO button relocation to the top Right on the d500 and programmable on the d750. If you don't use AUTO ISO then this is the best feature - but for indoor variable lighting you'll probably be in auto iso. You can change ISO without moving your left hand off of the lens as it's all controllable on the right hand.

I shoot a lot of indoor soccer where the light is far less than perfect. I find the ISO/low light ability of the FFs is superior here.
I'm somewhat planning on adding a d500 sometime too as I tried that alongside the d750 before I got it.

with the "odd wedding" you'll like the FF for the low light found in churches too. Portraits are usually studio setups and anything can be used.

If you switch from Auto iso to manual iso you'll find the move to the d7100. d500, d600 and up all have an advantage in getting in and out of auto iso quickly. The d7000 you have to go in the menu system (from my recollection) you use the front wheel on the newer models to go in/out of auto iso. Great for shooting indoor sports then doing a few portraits in the indoor facilities by switching to manual iso quickly. FYI I believe you can program one of the front function buttons to ISO so you can still use your right hand to set up, though it's more of a finger stretch.

For sports and the action in hockey specifically, I'd be leaning towards the D500 since it sounds like it's in your budget. The D750 is an excellent full frame camera, but the change in body size didn't work for my hand size. The D610 has been holding value well, and is still a FF body I'd like to have, but doesn't have the AF system that the D750 has.

The D7200 is great if you decide to stay DX. I have a D7100 and didn't see the D7200 as a big enough upgrade, but from the D7000, I think there's enough to merit the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a D500. Like others have said the AF is excellent. These were taken Friday night. The first one is straight out of the camera and the second one I did a quick edit in Lightroom

SOOC iso 20,000 f4 1/1250 sec
i-DqLxHBc-L.jpg

Quick edit iso 12,800 f4 1/500sec
i-VzwkK8h-L.jpg

FYI, about size.

The d750 is actually smaller and lighter than the d500. The d500 is a Pro body design.
(d750) 141×113×78 mm vs (d500) 147×115×81 mm
(d750) 840grams vs (d500) 860 grams

Nikon d7200 is
136 x 107 x 76mm
765 grams

nikon d610
141 x 113 x 82
850g

you can use Camera Size Comparison - Camera Decision
to see size comparisons - or the nikonusa.com website.

The more important part, assuming the overall size is to your liking is how it fits into your hand. I find the d750 slightly better than my d600 but that is with grips. I've grown accustomed to be able to spread my fingers apart with the added space with the grips. Otherwise my pinky is usually under the body. And I have small hands/fingers.

I'd rather the D750 over the D500 since youre shooting in bad lighting.

Look into the D7200: probably the mostest for the leastest currently. The slight advantages of Nikon prosumer FX models is offset by sizeable price differences relative to the D7200. There's also the likelihood of some holiday discounts just down the road.
Actually you can usually find a d600 for about the same price as a d7200 and the low light capabilities are well worth it. A used d610 would be a little more but not a huge budget stretch by any means.

If the d500 is in your budget range as others have mentioned it would be an excellent choice.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

You can buy a used D4 for under 900.00 on Amazon. I know I had one there for sale. :) It sold.

Last edited:
Actually you can usually find a d600 for about the same price as a d7200 and the low light capabilities are well worth it. A used d610 would be a little more but not a huge budget stretch by any means.

If the d500 is in your budget range as others have mentioned it would be an excellent choice.

Agreed on the D600. Got mine for chump change. Already got the free repair. All is well.

Agreed on the D600. Got mine for chump change. Already got the free repair. All is well.

Discontinued, flawed model with a trail of recalls and warranty fixes...No thanks.

Discontinued, flawed model with a trail of recalls and warranty fixes...No thanks.

define trail.

it had (1) flaw, and (1) fix. The D610 is still just a D600 with the single fix -- simply rebadged.

buy the D600 with confidence, get it fixed when/if the sensor gets dirty, get a brand new D610 if/when the sensor gets dirty again.

Most reactions

Back