D7000 video not playing 'real time' on computer...

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I know you are all excited over 480Sparky getting the new lens, but can you help me?
took video today of a seal grabbing herring in a chute type waterway. When playing back on my Nx2 Nikon program, it is jerky. Camera was set at 1920 x 1080. I do. It know where I would look to work this out?

also, jeez, beginner still.....the camera kept focusing while filming which is a good thing, but I did not pan out or in, it just kept focusing causing some moments of softness. Is this right when focusing? When I did zoom in/out, I hit shutter half way and box became green and focused at new setting.
any help appreciated.

Am jealous of Sparky too!
Nancy

I can't speak for the D7000, but with my Canon T4i the follow focus does a continual hunt/focus. It uses contrast to move with the subject. The best way to video is in manual focus. I set my focus in photo mode and then move the lens to manual before switching to video mode.

HD video takes a lot of computer power to play back in real time without the jerkiness. Some video editors have options to playback the preview in a lower rez such as 1/4, 1/2, etc.

To make still photos your D7000 uses a phase-detection AF module that is in the bottom of the camera.
The main mirror in the camera has a section that is 50% transparent so a smaller, secondary mirror behind the main mirror can direct the image the lens projects down to the AF module.

When shooting video, the main and secondary mirror s have to be up and out of the light path, so the phase-detect AF module cannot be use to AF.
So in Live View or when shooting video the D7000 uses a separate contrast-detection system.
Contrast-detect AF is not as accurate as phase-detect AF.

AF settings (focus mode, focus area mode, and focus point) for the contrast-detect system used in Live View and video are on page 50 of the D7000 users manual.

Next comes the type of shutter action as used for video.
The shutter is electronically controlled (the image sensor is turned on/off) and the shutter curtains do not open and close the 24 times a second that is the frame rate for 1920 x 1080 video.

Many videographers use manual focus and add a follow focus accessory to their DSLR cameras to facilitate doing follow focus.
In fact they often add several hundred to a couple thousand dollars worth of accessories to aid making videos - like a video tripod and a video fluid tripod head, a follow focus mechanism, a much larger monitor, and more. Follow Focus | Z-Focus | Camera Accessories | Zacuto USA

The D7000 uses a rolling shutter. Higher level video cameras use a global shutter.

Nikon D7000 Review: Digital Photography Review
Like pretty much all other video-DSLRs the D7000 can suffer from distortion caused by its rolling shutter. The readout of the sensor means horizontal lines of the image are scanned, one after another, rather than the whole scene being grabbed in one go. The upshot is that verticals can be skewed if the camera (or the subject) moves too fast - the top of the image has been recorded earlier than the bottom, so vertical lines can be rendered as diagonals. On the D7000 this effect is relatively subtle compared to some of the competition, presumably thanks to a fast processor and sensor read-out. Transition from bright to dark scenes works pretty smoothly and quickly as well. There are no obvious exposure 'jumps' as the camera adjusts the gain and/or aperture.

Thank you Cheryl for your response.
Thank you Keith for your response, I wish I could understand it :{

I had camera set on AF-F and then subject tracking AF. Which explains the continual focusing of the camera of fish/water.
Is that correct for this type of video ? Do I need to lock mirror up?
Then how do I get it to play on computer smoothly, not jerky? Do I have to change from 1980x1080, or is there something in my computer settings that needs to change?
thanks again,
Nancy

Here is Nickthetechkid using Camtasia. There are probably other softwares for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Designer. Will watch that soon. I pay for every gig I use, so try and go to a library to watch videos...unless I want to 'live dangerous' and play it anyway :)
Nancy

Thanks Designer. Will watch that soon. I pay for every gig I use, so try and go to a library to watch videos...unless I want to 'live dangerous' and play it anyway :)
Nancy

It moves quite fast, so you will have to watch it several times. :shock:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back