D7000?

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am still toying with all of my options, and was looking into the D7000 as a backup body. It mainly caught my eye because its grip is smaller than the d7100 which I have always kept an eye on, so I am sure it would fit my hands much more comfortably.

I would use this for less serious photos such as the kids dirt biking, one of my kiddos is getting into wrestling so it may end up used for that as well. Maybe water drops when I get the itch for its crop factor. It likely wouldn't ever be used for blowing up anything larger than an 8x10 or so.

Does anyone with experience using this camera think it will fit my needs? That smaller grip is super tempting, but Image quality and usefulness trumps comfort, I suppose.

My friend has one. She gets great photos with it. I believe some earlier versions had some autofocus issues, but likely it was only a few so risks are small.

Being that they were released a good while ago at this stage, you'd really want to be getting it for small money to buy it imo

Just to add recently I used that d7000 as we were doing a club group shot thingy. I don't remember it feeling any different than the d7200 I use, not saying the grip isn't smaller, but if it is, it's a minor difference

I am still toying with all of my options, and was looking into the D7000 as a backup body. It mainly caught my eye because its grip is smaller than the d7100 which I have always kept an eye on, so I am sure it would fit my hands much more comfortably.

I would use this for less serious photos such as the kids dirt biking, one of my kiddos is getting into wrestling so it may end up used for that as well. Maybe water drops when I get the itch for its crop factor. It likely wouldn't ever be used for blowing up anything larger than an 8x10 or so.

Does anyone with experience using this camera think it will fit my needs? That smaller grip is super tempting, but Image quality and usefulness trumps comfort, I suppose.

I had her for two years 2011 till 2013. Mine had a lot of AF trouble with my fast primes. shooting her with zooms should not be a problem. I read reports about the AF issues which only seem to affect a small amount of the population

loved our D7000. honestly did not see much difference in image quality between it and our D7100 and D600's.
the biggest upgrade for the D7100 was really the AF module.
not that the 24mp sensors werent an upgrade, but it wasnt some huge leap that made IQ 10 times better.
i wouldnt hesitate to recommend a D7000 if you can get one at a good price.

Spec wise from Nikon I only see a 1/10 of an inch difference in width and height. Have not found anything that showed possible differences in the grip. But if you have had both bodies in hand. It just very well may be a good choice. Should be at a good price too boot! It would make a good beater / second body. If the price was right!

My D300 has lower quality output than the D7000. But it still puts out useable pictures. It just doesn't have the ISO range like newer ones. But for a knock around camera, I have no problems using it still. Thinking about having it converted to IR. Give it some additional life.

@jaomul and @Frank F. , thank you both! I will definitely look into the AF issue. KEH has some EX condition ones for $300 with their warranty, I wonder if that would negate the risk?

@pixmedic Im glad to hear you had a great experience with it! Ive done just fine with the 16 MPX in the DF and never really yearned for more. I am sure 24 is better, but not necessary, in my expierence. KEH seems to have decent prices on them, oddly enough craigslist is quite a bit higher for some reason.

@benhasajeep - have you been on camerasize.com? http://camerasize.com/compare/#7,440 Its not much smaller, but it is smaller width wise on the grip- and when you have hands as small as mine, every mm counts! :giggle: (Check out the top view on both cameras stacked. Its actually a relatively significant difference!)

Last edited:
@jaomul and @Frank F. , thank you both! I will definitely look into the AF issue. KEH has some EX condition ones for $300 with their warranty, I wonder if that would negate the risk?

@pixmedic Im glad to hear you had a great experience with it! Ive done just fine with the 16 MPX in the DF and never really yearned for more. I am sure 24 is better, but not necessary, in my expierence. KEH seems to have decent prices on them, oddly enough craigslist is quite a bit higher for some reason.

@benhasajeep - have you been on camerasize.com? http://camerasize.com/compare/#7,440 Its not much smaller, but it is smaller width wise on the grip- and when you have hands as small as mine, every mm counts! :giggle:

Have not been to that site. Has the different views too. The width difference is on the right side of the camera (grip side). But not sure the grip is thinner. Also it appears to me though that side is smaller. The "AE-L" button is about the same distance over from the edge of the camera. So, if you life back button focus, it is probably the same reach over??

Now having said that. If they are the same. And your just looking for a beater body / 2nd body. And have an opportunity to save money. The D7000 would not be bad to have. And as the kids get older. Maybe less worries if they start to borrow it, instead of your Df!!

I had a D7000 for about 3 years. I loved using it. I debated from the D7000 to upgrade to a D700 FX, D7100 DX or D600 FX. I ended up choosing the D600 and kept the D7000 for at least a year with 2 cameras.

you'll find minute differences in the shape of the grip.
For instance I believe the inside part of the grip is flatter, more 90 degree shape-like than later versions and the D600 which is curved more which is a bit more comfortable.

Have you looked at the 5000 series? They should be cheaper, and if you don't need very fast tracking they should be fine. They have the fancy flippy screen as well, and should be smaller.

@benhasajeep Kids borrow my DF! Thats hysterical, truly! I do see what you mean about the back focus button. Ill have to do some careful measuring.

@astroNikon I know everyone complains about the grip on the DF, but it really is perfect for me. I don't think that translates to the d700 but it still makes me wonder since everyone clams the new ones are more comfortable. I am glad you have good memories of the d7000. Thoughts from real world users are very helpful to me! thank you.

@gooner, I have thought about that, but I am pretty sure most of my lenses require the build in focus motor in the body.

@astroNikon I know everyone complains about the grip on the DF, but it really is perfect for me. I don't think that translates to the d700 but it still makes me wonder since everyone clams the new ones are more comfortable. I am glad you have good memories of the d7000. Thoughts from real world users are very helpful to me! thank you.

I really liked my D7000. At the time it was the best "true black" (real term fails me right now) which was good for astrophotography. plus all of the builtin features made it perfect.

FYI, the I cannot use D5x00 series due to not having several features such as: MuP (Yes the D5x00 has a delay but in astro work and such sometimes you need a longer delay dependent upon wind as an example, or a car rumbling by), the Shoulder LCD (very handy if you are above the camera); and many ppl who have bad both will mention how the D7x00 is just much nicer overall. Plus the controls will be more similar to you Df than a d5x00.

The d5600 is a very small camera though. I love the size of it. But like you, I use a lot of AF-D lenses and the D5600 does not have a body focus motor.

But I'll be adding a D7200 to use for Astro and certain sports. I will be used with a DR-6 when attached to the telescope for aiming/focusing and then iPhone remote release. No need for a flippy screen. That is unless I buy a Fuji mirrorless first (then I don't have to worry about MuP); which I plan on getting one anyways at some point.

The D7000 will handle anything a DSLR can do with excellence. There is no reason to think it won't work for you - or anyone else for that matter.

Hated my D7000, always had back focusing issues that couldn't be fixed, my D7100 was pure joy.
I will recommend getting the D7100, not because of my bad experience with it but because of the auto focus system, the one in the D7100 is far superior to the one in the D7000

I personally wouldn't go down to a D7000 because of the back-focusing issue per above, and I much prefer the 24MP sensor of the D7100 over the 16MP sensor of the D7000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back