D70s - NEF not working!

maxbennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a D70S today, and am VERY excited about it. I shot a card-full of photos - about half NEF, and half JPEG. When I imported them into iPhoto (iPhoto '05 - which supports RAW images), it left out all the NEF's and said that there was no data on them. iPhoto deleted all of the JPEGs on my card (which is okay, I told it to), so now it's just the NEFs. Even when I drag the NEF into Photoshop (I have the plugin), it says it's the wrong file type. I know that it works with NEF's from a normal D70 (someone sent me some NEFs so I could fool around with the digital developing). Any advice? I'll look into it a bit further.

-Max

PS. I'm running an eMac, with OS 10.4.1 (the latest of the latest)

I don't think the ACR supports files from d70s yet. It's not a problem with the NEF file, which is identical to the d70. Problem is it codes the model name of the camera as d70s instead of d70 which ACR does not recognize.

This guy wrote a hack for Windows based computers that will change the model name of the camera, but I guess it won't help you since you're running a Mac.

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Downloads/D70sHack/D70sHack.htm

Here is more discussion about the problem:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/5815.html

Looks like you will have to wait until Mac or Adobe creates a version of RAW software taht can read d70s files (or pay for Nikon Capture). I would imagine it won't be long before new versions of RAW software comes out.

Being a newbie to digital SLR photography i am a bit confused here! I am on the brink of getting a D70s tomorrow :p My question is this. If i want to upload my images to Abdoe Photoshop Elements will it accept them? Sorry if this sounds like a daft question but i am a quick learner !! I currently own Photoshop Elements 2.0 if that helps.

I think it's saying that PS won't recognize the .nef flies that you get when you take pictures using the RAW setting of picture quality. You can probably use Nikon View and get them all just fine but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure if there's a problem, Nikon is working on it as we speak.

For now, Wirral, I'd stick to shooting .jpeg files until the patch comes out unless NV works. You can download it from Nikon's site.

Thanks, yeah, I've been looking everywhere on the internet, and I found this one forum where this guy said in order for Photoshop to view them, you have to convert them to .dng or something. I'll look into it more, I imported them into Nikon Picture Project (which sucks), for now. It doesn't have a fraction of the controls that Photoshop's Camera Raw has, which was 90% of the reason I got this cam.

Thanks again for the help. I hope an update comes soon

Most reactions

Back