D70S owners - any thoughts or suggestions?

Dweller

Inconspicuous Supporter
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am 99.273% I am going to be getting a D70s very soon. I will be getting the body and 18-70 kit lens and a 1GB card to start with a zoom and flash to follow at some point in the future.

Any thoughts, suggestions, regrets, or reccomndations now that you have had one for a while?

i assume you have tried this in your hands - very important it feels good and you are happy with the controls etc.

I would get a spare battery too, nothing worse than the battery running out half way through an outing, or taking it the bag to capture that moment and its flat.
you may want to consider a tripod in the future too.

Also i recommend you shoot in RAW - loads of info about RAW around, so that should give you just over 100+ images on that card

i dont own a Nikon, canon myself, but I know you wont be disappointed -
the
Nikon
D70, D70s,
Canon
350XT, 300D, 20D all great cameras

yes, yes and yes. I'm happy with mine though I'm frustrated Nikon not made vertical grip. that's the only moan I have about my D70s.

I just bought an SB600 flash too

i have your exact proposed setup and am quite pleased with it. i would also suggest an extra battery.

etaf said:
i assume you have tried this in your hands - very important it feels good and you are happy with the controls etc.

Yes, gettign my hands on it was what finally sold me. the D50 is a bit smaller and the 350D is a lot smaller so the D70 was the most comfortable.

etaf said:
I would get a spare battery too, nothing worse than the battery running out half way through an outing, or taking it the bag to capture that moment and its flat.

Great advice. How many shots typically can you get on a charge?

etaf said:
Also i recommend you shoot in RAW - loads of info about RAW around, so that should give you just over 100+ images on that card

That number suprises me.. how big is a RAW file typically? 100+ seems like it could fill up fast.

Thanks for the advice everyone, a second battery is a must but I am wondering if I want to think about "offline" storage or a second card now.

shooting RAW will get you about 160 images on that card. (read up on RAW, i highly recommend shooting in that format). i have shot over 500+ images without needing to switch batteries...you want an extra in case you fail to recharge prior to going out.

JonMikal said:
shooting RAW will get you about 160 images on that card. (read up on RAW, i highly recommend shooting in that format). i have shot over 500+ images without needing to switch batteries...you want an extra in case you fail to recharge prior to going out.

The reason I have the extra battery is because it's so infrequent that I have to charge one, it's easy for me to forget to charge it.

I've had the D70S for about a week now. I absolutely love it! I got the body, 18-70 lense and a 55-200 zoom. I'll be getting the 1G card in a week or so. I'm shooting in jpg format and show apx 300 images on a 512 card.
I think the flash will be next on my list - I should have got it when I got the rest since my dear hubby was in a buying mood!

i can promis that you fill your card many times before your battery dies, i have shot, and shoot for 3 weeks wiht my d50 before charging the batter, i would recomend the 70-300mm nikor zoom as a zoom lens ei have on and love it

Most reactions

Back