d70s vs d80

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1) The D80 new with the 15-135 ED $999.99
2) The D80 new with 18-55 VR, 55-200 G, cheap little bag, and a DVD... which is also $999.99
3) A used D70/D70s which would probably run me 300-400 then 1 or 2 decent lenses.

My only thing with this is that typically I dont have a problem buying things used but with this I am a little aprehensive. Also if I get the D80 new I can get the extended warranty will will cover anything that could happen to it, and I will get free cleanings. Also another thing I REALLY like about the extended warranty is that if in 3 years when the D80 has been discontinued and mine broke they would actually give me a brand new one of the current equivalent.
With digitals I dont even think of buying used. Just my choice. Now as far as those kits, the one with the 18-135 is the better lens option. Especially with you just starting out. It will give you alot more range over the 18-55VR. Remember the D80 is a D200 in a smaller version with less functions, than the D200. Also the D80 is newer technology over the D70or S version. I still use mine despite having the D300 but, not quite as much. It is my camera for taking to work with me and, has taken alot of abuse, yet it still keeps going.

personally... I would stick with the D80, buying used can be SO tricky, and if you get a used camera from a random person and it doesn't work, you're kinda outta luck.

I don't know the specs, but even $400-500 is an investment, it'd be a real shame to spend that and in the end still end up having to upgrade to the D80 (or D90)

I may be wrong, but when I bought my D80 a couple weeks ago (love it btw) the kit lens, at this store, was the 18-135, I'm not sure because I only bought the body...

at any rate, I'm sure either camera will be perfectly capable piece of equipment for you. But, my personal opinion is to play it safe and go with the new vs. used.

Beware with D70, mine had an error that Nikon would not fix, very common to the D70 older generations (ERR code) so I just e-gayed it and got an D80 and Loving it.

On the issue of memory cards, most high end and pro cameras use CF. So if you want to upgrade in the future, you will need to buy new sets of memory cards which can cost you $$$. D70s is very good and not very much different than D80. If you really want to chose between two cameras, it will be between D70s and D300, then you will really notice the difference in features. Otherwise, get the D70s and get good glass. Also, it's really costly to chase the latest body. You'll have the latest body only for a few months then they will comeout with a new one, ie D300, then D700, etc.

Ok, I am looking into getting a Nikon DSLR. I cant decide to get the D80 or if I should save the money and get a used D70. Aside from the resolution are there any big differences between the two that would make me lean towards spending more money on the D80? Thanks.

There's about a $200 difference in used prices, which isn't much to pay for the MUCH larger screen, and 10mp vs. 6mp.

However, if buying a d80 means you will be forced to buy cheap glass, then by all means buy a d70 and get a decent lens with what you save.

Both are great cameras.

personally... I would stick with the D80, buying used can be SO tricky, and if you get a used camera from a random person and it doesn't work, you're kinda outta luck.

I don't know the specs, but even $400-500 is an investment, it'd be a real shame to spend that and in the end still end up having to upgrade to the D80 (or D90)

I may be wrong, but when I bought my D80 a couple weeks ago (love it btw) the kit lens, at this store, was the 18-135, I'm not sure because I only bought the body...

at any rate, I'm sure either camera will be perfectly capable piece of equipment for you. But, my personal opinion is to play it safe and go with the new vs. used.

I 100% disagree, with electronics there isn't much to go wrong... it either works or it doesn't. Buying used saves you a lot of $$.

Electronics are funny, they don't just work or not work.. there can be so many temperamental/intermittent faults which may only happen occasionally.. so i disagree with that 100%. Just the other day one of my friends P&S decided it doesn't want to work properly 100% of the time, sometimes the images come out with lines across them!?!.

Buying used electronics might save you money initially but faults can be there, might take a while to notice them, thermal faults, dodgy contacts, dry joints, etc..

oh and memory cards don't cost that much either.. I, personally, wouldn't buy a camera because it takes a certain memory card.. i tend to buy smaller memory but more of them.. the smaller ones are cheaper per Gig, too, and if they mess up you haven't lost so much plus you have plenty of spares.

Don't also forget that, with a used body, there's shutter life to consider. You might end paying the same or more than a new D80 by buying a used D70 and then replacing the shutter a little while later.

I have the D70s and I honestly love it. I would never think it necessary to upgrade to a D80 and it's an excellent camera all around and easy to handle/learn. I expect it to be every bit as good as what I need until I someday upgrade to a D300 in a year or two.

I have the D70s as well and love it. I also am planning to get the D300 in the next 6 months. I am ready to move up to the pro grade, but between the D70s and D80, I don't think it would be worth the upgrade in my case.

Good luck :)

If you are considering a D70 you might want to consider a D50 for even cheaper. The D80 is a good camera...I use one as my backup body. Any decent dSLR will take pretty good pictures. My D2H in the right hands will still run circles around a rich noob with a fancy new D3.

If you are considering a D70 you might want to consider a D50 for even cheaper. The D80 is a good camera...I use one as my backup body. Any decent dSLR will take pretty good pictures. My D2H in the right hands will still run circles around a rich noob with a fancy new D3.

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

I told you that was going to come up! :)

Most reactions

Back