D7100 black and white issue solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it was noted by others here that it is far better to take the black and white image in the camera, because in post processing all you are doing is removing color saturation, and the camera will do more than this for black and white. I do not yet have an opinion on this one, but I will after some more experimentation. It was too Sunny today for tombstone shots.
Actually nobody here would ever recommend using in-camera conversion over software conversion. It limits you to the parameters defined by the firmware designer as opposed to having full control over them with full-fledged post processing software. I'm not going to go back and read that entire thread again but as I recall the only one touting in-camera conversion was you.
Wrong, the traveler said this in post number 45 yesterday.

"One of the reasons you (OP) will never be happy is because you think that a good BW image is a good color image with all the colors removed - and that is totally not true.

A good bw image depends on the contrast of tones of white, grey and black.
The absolute worst way to get a good bw image is to take a good color image and take the color out by desaturation."

It's in the eyes

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong, the traveler said this in post number 45 yesterday...........

You might want to actually read that post.

One of the reasons you (OP) will never be happy is because you think that a good BW image is a good color image with all the colors removed - and that is totally not true.

The absolute worst way to get a good bw image is to take a good color image and take the color out by desaturation.

And your constant click-bait is a waste of forum bandwidth.

Wrong, the traveler said this in post number 45 yesterday...........

You might want to actually read that post.

One of the reasons you (OP) will never be happy is because you think that a good BW image is a good color image with all the colors removed - and that is totally not true.

The absolute worst way to get a good bw image is to take a good color image and take the color out by desaturation.

And your constant click-bait is a waste of forum bandwidth.

Why are you being so negative? I solved the problem that I had, and thanked those who tried to help. None of my photos are a waste of bandwidth, unless you click. that said you also do not need to read this either, however doing so is your choice. Not everyone gets this on film,

He ask me for a cigarette when he was done.

Why are you being so negative? ........

Why are you feeling so smug and superior?

..........I solved the problem that I had..........

Um, no you haven't. You just haven't realized you didn't yet. Hopefully, in time, you will.

You had two requests.... to have your camera take the SAME photo in both color & b&w. You haven't done that yet. You also want to view the same image on your monitor in both b&w. You haven't done that either.

Perhaps going back and reading the two threads will make sense to you.

, .......... that said you also do not need to read this either, however doing so is your choice. Not everyone gets this on film, bbb

If frogs had pockets, they'd carry guns so they wouldn't have to be afraid of snakes. 123xyz

Why are you being so negative? ........

Why are you feeling so smug and superior?

..........I solved the problem that I had..........

Um, no you haven't. You just haven't realized you didn't yet. Hopefully, in time, you will.

You had two requests.... to have your camera take the SAME photo in both color & b&w. You haven't done that yet. You also want to view the same image on your monitor in both b&w. You haven't done that either.

Perhaps going back and reading the two threads will make sense to you.

, .......... that said you also do not need to read this either, however doing so is your choice. Not everyone gets this on film,

If frogs had pockets, they'd carry guns so they wouldn't have to be afraid of snakes.

But I no longer have to take two photos, because now I can shoot black and white at will, with one command dial switch. Wanting to take both was my solution to being able to shoot in black and white in the first place, which I could not do for an unseen reason. Why is this upsetting you? Move on already, and gimme a big hug https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279335@N04/21327400674/in/album-72157659747869266/

"One of the reasons you (OP) will never be happy is because you think that a good BW image is a good color image with all the colors removed - and that is totally not true.

The absolute worst way to get a good bw image is to take a good color image and take the color out by desaturation."
Which in no way, form or fashion whatsoever indicates that Lew prefers in-camera conversion over post-processing software. Can you please point out to me where he stated that he did?

On second thought, never mind. I don't really care how you justify it.

Which in no way, form or fashion whatsoever indicates that Lew prefers in-camera conversion over post-processing software. Can you please point out to me where he stated that he did?

On second thought, never mind. I don't really care how you justify it.
You do care for some reason, or you would not have taken the time to ask..... Look she saved you a piece.

dontfeedtrolls.jpg

You do care for some reason, or you would not have taken the time to ask..... Look she saved you a piece. The Hoof Master

Too bad you don't care........ to even try to listen to what those who want to help you are telling you. Oh, a squirrel!

You do care for some reason, or you would not have taken the time to ask..... Look she saved you a piece.

Too bad you don't care........ to even try to listen to what those who want to help you are telling you. Oh, a
I did listen, and was told to buy new camera cards, then buy new software (lightroom) but I thankfully did not heed and solved the problem in my own way, as I said that I would. No monitor changes needed.

I told you to download FREE software from Nikon.

First off, learn to 'see' in b&w. Spending hours in front of a monitor clicking on image after image in the hopes that an image will suddenly jump out and and be an award-winner is a huge waste of time. So you should only be working with images that you know beforehand have a chance of becoming monochrome masterpieces. I rarely 'see' a black and white for the first time in post.... 99.99% of mine are 'seen' before I even pick up the camera.

Ansel Adams rarely shot color. Look how well his b&w shots came out. I doubt he spent much time in the darkroom trying to salvage an image... he did all that legwork out in the field. If the scene wasn't worthy of clicking a shutter, he moved on. He knew full well what his finished image was going to look like before he grabbed a tripod.

Another thing is to learn to cull your tens of thousands of shots down to what you want to edit. No need to edit everything.... just what is worthy of editing needs to be dealt with. This is easily done by star rating your images during initial ingestion. Then you can set your editor to only show you the 1+ star-rated images.

Now that you're down to a managable number, Nikkon's NX-D will easily compare two images side by side. Just open the folder, select the image, then click on the "Side by Side" icon (red arrow). Change one image to monochrome (green arrow).

bw%20color.jpg

I also suggested just shooting in B&W.

If B&W is so important, then just shoot in b&w JPEG. Problem solved.

To which, you replied that was not an option.

Nah, BW is only important in some photos, besides if I am shooting in BW Murphy predicts an alien landing or Bigfoot asking me for directions.

Now you're just so d*@&ned proud that you suddenly discovered a left-handed way to shoot in black and white that your ego forces you to make the rest of us out to be fools. Sorry, it didn't work. We've seen right through you.

I think we're done here. I don't see anything productive happening.

OP: Please note that your random links have been removed. Any further repetition of this will be considered spamming and dealt with according to forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back