D7100 buffer slows down after 3 raws

The little green light is not about the buffer.... it's for indicating that the camera is writing data to the card. If it's not coming on when you take just one image, there's something wrong.

And of course the buffer clears faster in crop mode..... you've got less data per image to record.

I'm talking about it within the context of burst mode. The little light that indicates that the camera is writing only turns on when the buffer is nearly full. Furthermore, on crop mode the buffer seems to recover faster. I have not done any real tests, so it could be confirmation bias.
In your viewfinder in the lower right should be the buffer count. You can watch this as you take shots of how much buffer is left or it's recovery. There may be an option to turn this on, so read your manual.

As a test put your camera in Continuous High, and put the Quality to Small/Small.
Then put your eye up to the viewfinder and shoot away and watch what happens to the buffer and how fast it may recover.

Also do this test in Medium and High Qualities before going to RAW and testing it.

You may also want to read this and turn off certain options that keep it slow. --> D7100 : How to maximize the RAW shooting buffer - Here is what I see - How about you? - Nikon D90/D7000/D7100 Discussions on Nikon Rumors Forum

Also make sure you only have *one* format selected. NOT RAW + JPEG which means the camera is going to have to store 2 files in buffer then save them. This may be why you see "3"

Last edited:
The buffer of the D750 can take (25) 24MP 12-bit RAW files before filling. Still unimpressed?

The buffer of the D750 can take (25) 24MP 12-bit RAW files before filling. Still unimpressed?
baa- hum-bug
I need at least 26 in the buffer LMAO

Really interesting thread. Would this whole problem have gone away if the camera had a little bigger buffer? I have to admit it's really rare that I need more than three shots at a time, but I can see where this would bug me no end, and it seems like a silly limitation for the price of a little more buffer space.

Glad your fuffer issue was resulved, enjoy your new camera my friend! :)

Thank you, i am really loving the new camera. The amount of features that are in it are a bit much, i didn't expect the d7100 to open this many doors for me.

Thank you, i am really loving the new camera. The amount of features that are in it are a bit much, i didn't expect the d7100 to open this many doors for me.
If I had bought a 5x00 series and especially a 3x00 series, I probably would not have liked photography much. The features of the 7x00 did not limit me in the way the user interacts with the features and I really enjoyed learning it.

I learned my camera has a time lapse feature on it this weekend.

you set the intervals, and it will capture them until you press "ok" and put them into a .mov file.

you set the intervals, and it will capture them until you press "ok" and put them into a .mov file.
I know about the TimeLapse - Intervalometer.
But I didn't know about it putting it into a .mov file ?
I've used Window's Movie Maker for that .. to get the optimum time between photos.

page 168 ... I see now
okay, I've used my d7000 for all TimeLapse stuff which doesn't seem to have the save as a movie option.

I was just looking for the timer.

If you trust it, here is a list of this sports photographers tests.

D7100 RAW Burst Test – Reloaded | The Sports Photo Guy

Just a little curious. Approx. how many bursts are you guys getting with the faster SD cards before the buffer begins to lag? ((D7100)) users.
My new sandisk extreme card just arrived. The rate at wich my fast burst rate fills back up is so quick that the problem of a small buffer virtually disappears.

If you trust it, here is a list of this sports photographers tests.

D7100 RAW Burst Test – Reloaded | The Sports Photo Guy

Just a little curious. Approx. how many bursts are you guys getting with the faster SD cards before the buffer begins to lag? ((D7100)) users.
My new sandisk extreme card just arrived. The rate at wich my fast burst rate fills back up is so quick that the problem of a small buffer virtually disappears.
So what does that mean?
Does it work faster & better now or the same as before ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back